1. Standard memberjohnyg
    Metallica is weak
    better then here!
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 03:46
    With my extended time in forum ban land I was curious about a few things. Which I'll turn into site suggestions.

While in forum ban land,

1) A user should still be able to alert TOS violating posts.

2) A user should still be able to post in clan or club private forums.

Just two suggestions, take it or leave it.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 04:062 edits
    #2 has been suggested before. I think the argument went: if the ban applies only to public forums, the offender won't be sufficiently inconvenienced, he'll just go off and post a bunch in clan and club forums to get his daily fix.

#1 puzzles me a bit. Are you saying that an individual under forum ban can't use the alert button or the Send Feedback link?
  3. Standard memberjohnyg
    Metallica is weak
    better then here!
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 04:17
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    #2 has been suggested before. I think the argument went: if the ban applies only to public forums, the offender won't be sufficiently inconvenienced, he'll just go off and post a bunch in clan and club forums to get his daily fix.

#1 puzzles me a bit. Are you saying that an individual under forum ban can't use the alert button or the Send Feedback link?
    They can use the feedback link, but can't use the alert button.
  4. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 05:59
    I must say that I didn't think a 'public' forum ban had any relevance with regard to affecting posting in any private clan \ club etc...curiously, I wonder if you can post in your own clan or club, as a leader or administrator. You can still 'hide' other members posts but you can actually make a sentence yourself...seems very odd.
    I'm sure you're right 'Kewpie', it must be some form of 'yes, and we'll inconvenience you further' punishment...it just seems a touch lame, for want of a better description lol...
  5. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 00:471 edit
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    I must say that I didn't think a 'public' forum ban had any relevance with regard to affecting posting in any private clan \ club etc...curiously, I wonder if you can post in your own clan or club, as a leader or administrator. You can still 'hide' other members posts but you can actually make a sentence yourself...seems very odd.
    I'm sure you're right r' punishment...it just seems a touch lame, for want of a better description lol...
    "lame" lol. What do you find the slightest bit funny about physical disabilities ? Should have been "vsf( very somber face surely?) lol at physical disabilities is offensive, not least of all to people with disabilities. You wouldn't say "Hitler was a sociopath lol" would you? To argue that lame referred to the description not a person won't work either because you are using the word as if it were pejorative.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 01:53
    Originally posted by drdon
    "lame" lol. What do you find the slightest bit funny about physical disabilities ? Should have been "vsf( very somber face surely?) lol at physical disabilities is offensive, not least of all to people with disabilities. You wouldn't say "Hitler was a sociopath lol" would you? To argue that lame referred to the description not a person won't work either because you are using the word as if it were pejorative.
    You're one of those people who always has their panties in a twist, aren't you?
  7. Standard memberjohnyg
    Metallica is weak
    better then here!
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 02:27
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    You're one of those people who always has their panties in a twist, aren't you?
    You sound a bit like someone from the moderation team...

from page 2 of clans forums.. the thread created by the moderation team: "Also, seemingly all of the regulars in here are now professional panty-twisters with low self-esteem, turning the place into a melting pot of little girls with hurt feelings and tears streaming down their innocent little faces who can only pull the other mean girl's hair instead of going to the teacher.
    "

I found that offensive in it's contents and I find your post as well.

What does this type of comment have any business being in the site ideas forum?
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 02:27
    Originally posted by drdon
    It's unfortunate that 21st century slang has put both "lame" and "retard" into the collective vocabulary, to the point that both words have pretty much lost their original meaning. That same thing happened to the word "gay". Eventually even those of us who deprecate the corruption of the language will find ourselves using the terms.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 06:46
    Originally posted by johnyg

from page 2 of clans forums.. the thread created by the moderation team: "Also, seemingly all of the regulars in here are now professional panty-twisters with low self-esteem, turning the place into a melting pot of little girls with hurt feelings and tears streaming down their innocent little fac ...[text shortened]... as well.

LOL ... that mod nailed you on that one. You should learn not to give him the satisfaction of quoting him over and over again.
  10. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 06:55
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    It's unfortunate that 21st century slang has put both "lame" and "retard" into the collective vocabulary, to the point that both words have pretty much lost their original meaning. That same thing happened to the word "gay". Eventually even those of us who deprecate the corruption of the language will find ourselves using the terms.
    No chance, you speak for yourself lol...
  11. Standard memberjohnyg
    Metallica is weak
    better then here!
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 09:561 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    LOL ... that mod nailed you on that one. You should learn not to give him the satisfaction of quoting him over and over again.
    If I was the mod who posted that I would be embarrassed and ashamed, not satisfied.
  12. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 20:332 edits

from page 2 of clans forums.. the thread created by the moderation team: "Also, seemingly all of the regulars in here are now professional panty-twisters with low self-esteem, turning the place into a melting pot of little girls with hurt feelings and tears streaming down their innocent little fac as well.

Got it one!the same sexist language and contempt for legitimate objections. Little wonder the moderation system is a dud.This sort response from moderators must stop. And to take up Kewpies' point below, moderators must be exemplars of moderation and temperate language.
  13. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 00:561 edit

from page 2 of clans forums.. the thread created by the moderation team: "Also, seemingly all of the regulars in here are now professional panty-twisters with low self-esteem, turning the place into a melting pot of little girls with hurt feelings and tears streaming down their innocent little fac as well.

Although I'm not sure anything has really changed, and taken in the context of that period of time, the clan forum had had 'many' warnings from the moderation team. Maybe it was a single moderator, I'm unsure, but the fact remains that 'he' was only posting in the manner that that forum had become accustomed to...basically, it was positively TAME in comparison to the rest of a particular thread \ forums posts lol...but seriously, the comments were made after a long series of 'get your house in order' requests.
    However, you weren't alone in feeling that this moderators comments were 'sometimes' not really in keeping with what we might expect from someone holding such a position at RHP. SO, just what do 'we' expect from the person holding court there ? I'd suggest that as he's only human, he also may acquire the moods and the 'general feeling' that the whole place 'exudes'...and when spending some time there, can we blame that person for posting in a 'similar' manner. Maybe he did adopt the 'feeling' of the forum \ thread that he was attempting to CONTROL...maybe he was just tired of it all. It certainly reads that way if you look back the pattern of comments formed there.
    At the end of the day, why do we participate if that participation is continually causing us anguish. We have no RIGHTS here, we're here at the invitation of a privately owned site..WE are bound by the rules, not them, and it's not really in their interests to 'decipher' protests or insults that are continually exchanged by the same individuals. I've implied it before and I'll do so again, our mental health is actually pretty fragile..we may not know that but the facts do exist to prove it..we need to just walk away and set our minds on something more positive.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 02:01
    If I was the mod who posted that I would be embarrassed and ashamed, not satisfied.
    The satisfaction is in knowing it had such a profound effect on you. If he had been a common flame artist, you wouldn't even remember what he wrote after a day or so.
  15. Standard memberjohnyg
    Metallica is weak
    better then here!
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 02:301 edit
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    Although I'm not sure anything has really changed, and taken in the context of that period of time, the clan forum had had 'many' warnings from the moderation team. Maybe it was a single moderator, I'm unsure, but the fact remains that 'he' was only posting in the manner that that forum had become accustomed to...basically, it was positively TAME in comp eed to just walk away and set our minds on something more positive.
    Even a stupid (as a few insist) man like me, might expect the moderation team to at the very least follow the same rules and advice they enforce and publicly say. It is tame compared to a fair amount of crap in clan forum, but ether way the whole team or an individual from it shouldn't spew they same language and tone they wish to stop. If nothing else it just sends mixed messages as to what is appropriate. I mean SwissGambit felt it appropriate to use the same tone and language in the site ideas forum, and defend his and the mod's actions..

Everyone is human, no one is perfect, I certainly don't expect anyone to do the right thing all the time or not have good days and bad days. But being in a position of power / authority shouldn't they also try to live by the rules they enforce? And perhaps either remove the offending post or provide a public apology, or even possibly replace the offending mod.

"we need to just walk away and set our minds on something more positive"
    I fully agree. I've always been a make love not war person (I'm sure that doesn't come across well in these forums)

One thing I've thought about for a few months now has to do with how much miscommunication goes on in these forums. Between non-verbal communication and tone the written word alone can often be "lost in translation" http://www.westga.edu/~distance/ojdla/summer122/betts122.html

Then when you bring in cultural differences from all the various locations RHP has users in what you get is a breeding ground for miscommunication. When you bring in Taunt, goad or ridicule, things can easily get out of hand quickly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree