1. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    15 Dec '04 11:40
    You're all doing nice and such, but some of you are REALLY careless in their work.

I've just visited the 'meet opponents' forum and saw a thread about someone wanting to paly James Woodley. Apparently some insults were thrown in, wich have been removed.

however, THE REPLIES IN WICH THE OFFENDING POSTS ARE QUOTED ARE STILL THERE!

I mean, come on! What do you want to achieve by just deleting the original post and not the replies to that post? The original post is offensive, but the quotations from it aren't???

Either do a better job, or assign me as mod, that way you KNOW things like that will be deleted.
  2. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    15 Dec '04 13:28
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    You're all doing nice and such, but some of you are REALLY careless in their work.

I've just visited the 'meet opponents' forum and saw a thread about someone wanting to paly James Woodley. Apparently some insults were thrown in, wich have been removed.

however, THE REPLIES IN WICH THE OFFENDING POSTS ARE QUOTED ARE STILL THERE!

I mean, come ...[text shortened]... Either do a better job, or assign me as mod, that way you KNOW things like that will be deleted.
    If were talking about the same thread...

Did you consider that although the original post was merely a blind insult, and therefore worthy of removal, that the post that quoted it held value so should remain? Admittedly the value in this case was belittling the original poster on his homophobia and poor spelling, but that was maybe considered value enough.

Think being a mod is easy? Don't be so quick to judge until you've been there. Believe me, until you have you have no idea!
  3. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    15 Dec '04 13:44
    Originally posted by belgianfreak

Did you consider that although the original post was merely a blind insult, and therefore worthy of removal, that the post that quoted it held value so should remain? Admittedly the value in this case was belittling the original poster on his homophobia and poor spelling, but that was maybe considered value en ...[text shortened]... so quick to judge until you've been there. Believe me, until you have you have no idea!
    can the mod's not have power to edit posts? or even just the quotes in posts if not the posts themselves?...
  4. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    15 Dec '04 13:592 edits
    Remember also that we have a level of auto-moderation now: the auto-mod function will certainly not check for quoted sections in other posts. And when it comes to human moderation, they don't have endless hours to do the job.

e.g. In the General forum the other day, thread "Cheats List": the first post by marinakatomb did some explicit naming and shaming and got itself wiped. Whether that was a mod choice or the auto-mod I have no idea. However, the post in question had been quoted in its entirety by shavixmir two posts later, so the 'offending' material still exists.

This raises the question: if one is to "alert moderator", should you also do this on every post that quotes the offending material, even if you think the content of the following post is quite valid?

I've always thought the quote thing to be heavily overused on RHP, particularly on long posts when the new post is often no more than a word or two. Basic forum lazyness in most cases.

A cleaner system would be for quotes to be by link ( e.g. underlined "nth post, username" ) rather than fill the screen with endless repeats. If a post was moderated, that would become plain text "xth post, username, moderated". If you only want to quote a small section of a long post, then copy/paste and take the risk that your post may be moderated because of what you quoted.
  5. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    15 Dec '04 16:16
    Originally posted by belgianfreak

Did you consider that although the original post was merely a blind insult, and therefore worthy of removal, that the post that quoted it held value so should remain? Admittedly the value in this case was belittling the original poster on his homophobia and poor spelling, but that was maybe considered value en ...[text shortened]... so quick to judge until you've been there. Believe me, until you have you have no idea!
    I HAVE been there. In fact I still AM a moderator, though not on this site.
  6. Joined
    25 Jul '04
    Moves
    18 Dec '04 13:34

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree