Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

1. 20 Jul '05 17:28
  2. Standard member Peakite
    Sais
    20 Jul '05 18:36
    Just because we subscribe, doesn't mean we are any good.
  3. 21 Jul '05 01:07
    Originally posted by Peakite
    Just because we subscribe, doesn't mean we are any good.
    Just because they don't subscribe doesn't mean they are any better than us.
  4. 21 Jul '05 01:56
    Actually, I've been thinking about this before. I've played a few games where once my opponent is out of theory they seem to make obvious, mainly positional, mistakes. But once the game is finished, o one ever seems particularly interested in discussing it, unlike OTB chess.

I'd toyed with the idea of writing a sporadic quasi chess column for here, and just sticking it up in the chess forum. I vaguely seem to remember that there was a way you add links to positions etc. In fact, as I look below where I'm typing I can see a "insert board from FEN" so that could be it.

I'm a chess teacher by profession, so you'd think I could come up with something. On the other hand, it sounds a lot like work, so maybe I won't. Or I will. You never can tell, . How about if I just inflict lectures about my games on everyone? Damn, a worldwide audience for my crap moves! Why didn't I think of this before?
  5. Standard member Nyxie
    The eyes of truth
    21 Jul '05 02:13
    Originally posted by Vandalizer
    Actually, I've been thinking about this before. I've played a few games where once my opponent is out of theory they seem to make obvious, mainly positional, mistakes. But once the game is finished, o one ever seems particularly interested in discussing it, unlike OTB chess.

I'd toyed with the idea of writing a sporadic quasi chess column for here, ...[text shortened]... s on everyone? Damn, a worldwide audience for my crap moves! Why didn't I think of this before?
    Are you any good?
  6. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    21 Jul '05 02:19
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    Are you any good?
    I'd say so.

Game 863152
  7. 21 Jul '05 02:55
    I'm OK actually, .

Sure, if I play my openings out of a book while using a chess site, and don't read properly, I can get bad positions. But OTB I've had fair results for New Zealand. I've been North Island Champion and just missed making the Olympiad team for Bled in 2002 by a point.

I play at a club with two IM's and beat them both from time to time, though naturally enough lose more often. As a coach it's hard to say. I coached the last winner of the NZ Major Open, though personally I thought he played pretty badly. I went to Crete last year as the NZ junior coach, but it was virtually amatuers against professionals over there. And admittedly the under representative in the under 14 boys section for us is better than me, so it was hard to coach him!

To be fair, he's better than most, and had just come from Mallorca where he played in the full Olympiad team for NZ. Coaching is more about taking an objective view of how somebody is playing. From what I've seen on this site teaching of the basics is more of a requirement. Almost every game I've won has simply been by my opponent making elementary mistakes.

One general piece of advice I'd give on here though, is to try to engage your opponents in a post mortem dialogue after the game is over. Unless the game was ruined with a totally crass blunder early on of course. It can be surprising to hear what some players think of their games afterwards. And on a site like this, views that might be totally wrong are rarely going to be corrected.

I guess computer programmes can help you analyse to a degree. Usually though, they'll just notice when someone makes a horrendous mistake that went unnoticed by both players. In other words, if you have a good idea, but your execution of contains a tactical flaw, no computer can ever tell you this.

Finally, whether anything I had to offer on this site would be worthwhile or not, can only be judged once I've actually done it, . And knowing me, I'd be more inclined to do something with more amusement value than educational, because I'm like that. On the other hand, if anyone wanted to discuss anything in particular I'm usually open to that too.

There are some very good chess writers out there, though we'll all have favourites. For beginners I've found Capablanca, Lasker, and Purdy easy to follow. I remember struggling with Nimzovich however, though maybe I just wasn't ready for it. For more advanced players, there are many more choices. Personally I like Soltis and Suetin. Dvortesky is undoubtedly unexcellent, but can be very hard work. More for the dedicated. Reassess your chess by Sivlerman is a useful book, as is Improve your Chess Now (I think it was called) by Tisdell. (Was it?) But like I said, we'll all have our favourites.
  8. Standard member Nyxie
    The eyes of truth
    21 Jul '05 02:58
    Sorry I was just making light.

I've looked at some of your games and I'm impressed honestly. I have a forum for my teams and clans from different sites and it has a section for chess discussion. I would feel honored if you'd take some time out of your day to stop by and give some pointers. There are people that frequent the site who are generally interested in getting better.

Nyxie
  9. 21 Jul '05 03:40
    Well, like I said, it's something I've thought about. So best that I get on and do something at some point, . Though I'm supposed to be doing something for the club website too, so I'd best not overload myself. For a start, let's see if I can figure out how to add some stuff here. First up, I'll spend some time trying to figure out these FEN things. Just after I've been over to the General Forum to see if there's anything daft needs saying.