1. Standard memberDraxus
    Mr. Bombastic
    Ogden, Ut
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 06:21
    Basically, you could comment on games in progress in a separate thread that could be seen by everyone except those who are playing at the moment.

People who are interested in analyzing games could debate on some of the top matches, and then when those matches are over, the players could then debate with everyone who had been following the game.

It probably wouldn't get used much, but who knows, it still might interest some people.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 06:58
    Not a good idea.
    If I knew that someone is commenting my game during its progress, I would open a new account (as a non-sub), not to play but to follow the comments.
    I know that I'm not allowed to do that - but who will know?
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 07:19
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    but who will know?
    Jesus.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 14:57
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Jesus.
    Yes, him, but you will not find him in the RHP staff.
    It would be a miracle if he had anything to say about.
  5. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 20:33
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Not a good idea.
    If I knew that someone is commenting my game during its progress, I would open a new account (as a non-sub), not to play but to follow the comments.
    I know that I'm not allowed to do that - but who will know?
    Opening multiple accounts is a RHP Felony and would get you kicked out. Therefore the risk might not be worth the reward. Plus, why would you do that anyway, it seems cheap, like using an engine.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 08:12
    Originally posted by Gastel
    Opening multiple accounts is a RHP Felony and would get you kicked out. Therefore the risk might not be worth the reward. Plus, why would you do that anyway, it seems cheap, like using an engine.
    You are so right. It is morally wrong. But...

It is easy to open another account. And it is not possible to discover that you have open another account by the opening it itself. (In other cases it would not be possible for my brother, my wife or my dad to be a member at RHP.)

By approving a forum where everyone can discuss a progressing game, but the player themselves, is merely to inviting them to cheat only by opening an alternate account, isn't it? And noone can reveal them as cheaters.

Yes, I know, we can compare this issue by using a engine but now we're discussing the question of discussing progressing games.

If there is a need for discussing going games, then I recommend the thread "One move a day" in "Chess only forum"where it is permittid to discuss, comment and guessing the progress of a 'live' game, one move a day.
  7. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 09:58
    Another problem with the commentary idea is the danger that someone passes on some of the comments or analysis to one of the players. There's so many ways they can do that, for instance by PM or email. Within a short space of time the people commenting on the game could have a huge influence on it's outcome.
  8. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 13:27
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    Another problem with the commentary idea is the danger that someone passes on some of the comments or analysis to one of the players. There's so many ways they can do that, for instance by PM or email. Within a short space of time the people commenting on the game could have a huge influence on it's outcome.
    Still, it would be nice to see more completed games between top players commented on by those players, and then put up for general discussion.

People often say lower ranked players should learn from their games against the elite - but unless they see WHY the other player made certain moves, there's no guarantee they will learn anything.
  9. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 13:43
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Still, it would be nice to see more completed games between top players commented on by those players, and then put up for general discussion.

People often say lower ranked players should learn from their games against the elite - but unless they see WHY the other player made certain moves, there's no guarantee they will learn anything.
    cant you just link the games you want analysed, onto the only chess forum. then you can get everyone to chip in their two cents worth.
  10. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 13:55
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    cant you just link the games you want analysed, onto the only chess forum. then you can get everyone to chip in their two cents worth.
    Yes, this is possible. But the highest-rated players here tend not to be very active in the forums. It would be nice if they occasionally annotated their own games to frame a discussion, then maybe took part in the discussion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree