1. WORK
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 15:01
    Would it be a good idea to have all the games here searchable by opening code?
    I think it would be neet to be able to look at every evans gambit played by say ironman as black.
    Or to be able to view all the Kings Gamits openings played here.
    It would be a great study tool.
  2. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 18:27
    Another site that I'm on has that capability.. its pretty neat.. first it identifies your opening, then allows you to search other games with the same opening.
  3. WORK
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 19:17
    This feature would really make studying chess easier and closer to home here.
    Instead of going to other web sites and searching for games with the danish gambit I could just search ironmans game log or weyerstrass' game log and look for that opening to see how good CC players handle it.

I hope it wouldnt be a black hole for the bandwith!
  4. WORK
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 14:57
    HARUMPPHH!
  5. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '05 10:01
    this might be an good idea for the chess exchange site.
  6. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    10 Apr '05 10:06
    i have mixed feelings:
    it would let the knowledge get out there - a good thing,

but:

from ironman's perspective, even the weakest players could take him right through his opening repertoire with exactly the same moves as the other best players on this site - a bit repetitious.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Apr '05 19:161 edit
    Originally posted by flexmore
    from ironman's perspective, even the weakest players could take him right through his opening repertoire with exactly the same moves as the other best players on this site - a bit repetitious.
    I doubt that would greatly worry him, since that situation more or less occurs anyway with opening books.

The real question is how much of the site's resources would this eat? A database query would have to go through every game matching the first part of the PGN with your query opening line and that doesn't take into account transpositions, so if you searched the whole of the RHP games database you may prevent the site from doing anything else while it goes through every game comparing moves looking for games with the right pattern. Apart from that it's a good idea. Does someone who actually knows about databases think it is feasible?
  8. WORK
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 18:23
    Making it harder for Ironman31 would only make him stronger then he already is. (if that is possible)!
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    13 Apr '05 05:48
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    this might be an good idea for the chess exchange site.
    I agree. I would love to see it implemented here at RHP, but I will consider providing it there at ChessExchange.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree