1. New England
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 19:30
    Better chess players don't make obvious blunders, so the fact that I recently made one is evidence that I'm not a better chess player.

But it was unfortunate how my blunder derailed what was shaping up to be a good game between two 1400+ players.

What about letting you give back one move per game to your opponent. You wouldn't be able to take back one of your own moves, but if your opponent made a blunder and you wanted to give them their move back, you could. Just once per game to avoid abuse.

Game 7954629

(The blunder was 16. ...d5)
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 19:56
    Originally posted by Ellis Dee
    Better chess players don't make obvious blunders, so the fact that I recently made one is evidence that I'm not a better chess player.

But it was unfortunate how my blunder derailed what was shaping up to be a good game between two 1400+ players.

What about letting you give back one move per game to your opponent. You wouldn't be able to take back on ...[text shortened]... 20. Rd1xd4 dxc4 21. Rd4xc4 a6 *[/pgn]

When exactly did you finally realize that move was a blunder?
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 20:081 edit

What about letting you give back one move per game to your opponent. You wouldn't be able to take back on 20. Rd1xd4 dxc4 21. Rd4xc4 a6 *[/pgn]

On other servers, I never give a takeback because I can't stand it if they end up winning the game.

Same goes for 'givebacks'.

Why show mercy when the game will be decided by a mistake at some point anyway, even if it's a less obvious one?

Edit: Learn to scan the board for hanging pieces, checks, etc. before you hit 'Submit Move'!
  4. e4
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 00:01
    Hi.

"Better chess players don't make obvious blunders"

Oh yes they do.

I looked at the game you posted. No comment, it's still in progress.

Let's talk about blundering in general.

Blundering is part of the learning process. Feel the burn.

One sloppy thoughtless move and it's gone.

If RHP had this 'take back' feature you can just imagine the arguments
    and ill feeling it would cause as players asked their opponents to have
    a move back and get, quite rightly, refused.

The advantage here is you can see the board and the move you played
    before you press send. That is your last chance to take your move back.

Simple pre send scan. Checks ALL Checks, any unproteced pieces?
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 11:58
    No takeback, they are arkward regardless. If you are really interested in the outcome of the game agree on a set game starting from the last position before the blunder.
  6. New England
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 14:01
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    When exactly did you finally realize that move was a blunder?
    As I clicked the Submit Move button.
  7. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 22:13
    it was a difficult day when i realized that all my moves were bad and would always remain so. occasionally i do make a good move. unfortunately i'm not good enough to recognize them when i do. of course, my first moves of every game are generally okay. it's not until maybe the third move that they start to get really bad.
  8. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    04 Dec '10 00:58
    Mistakes are part of chess, against humans one part of the strategy is trying to get themn to make a mistake. And if I could take back my own mistakes I would not have fun games like this:
    Game 7712616
  9. e4
    Moves
    04 Dec '10 13:43
    Smashing game. Don't hide it in a link. Be proud of your work.

10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '10 11:59

What about letting you give back one move per game to your opponent. You wouldn't be able to take back on ...[text shortened]... 20. Rd1xd4 dxc4 21. Rd4xc4 a6 *[/pgn]

Are you implying that crap players (i.e. anyone below a certain rating and of course including myself) should not be allowed to benefit from your proposal because...well you know, we are just patzers and what would we know about good sportsmanship let alone chess...
  11. New England
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 05:08
    No, I was saying that it doesn't just happen to beginners. I chose 1400+ because games where both players are 1400+ get logged in the rhp openings database.
  12. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 16:41
    Recommend:

(1) The game is scored and the rating change is final
    (2) Add an option to continue from a certain move as an unrated game

I'm not making this as a strong recommendation, but it would satisfy the request and maintain the integrity of the rating system and honor the rules of chess
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 21:121 edit
    As I clicked the Submit Move button.
    Why did you click it? You should have waited half a second or 2.

P-
  14. Standard memberstretchkiwi
    Hey you!
    Auckland
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 05:06
    Give backs kind of defeat the purpose and class of the game. I love the game that you played, really excellent to watch. I'm a newbie to this sport but sometimes mistakes even go my way. Check out this game where my opponent resigns.

I should never have won but for a couple moments of inattention on the part of my obviously much better adversary. I like to play out everything because its the way we learn, and I've seen one player's mistakes cancel another's in the same game.

I'm with greenpawn34 on this one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree