Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member avalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    24 Oct '12 18:12
    Ok, so we've established that it would probably be unfair to ban trolls by public vote (and more to the point, it would be subject to easy abuse), but the problem remains. How about, then, allowing thread creators to prohibit certain posters from contributing to their threads? Would that be possible? Would it work?
  2. Subscriber thaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    24 Oct '12 19:17
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Ok, so we've established that it would probably be unfair to ban trolls by public vote (and more to the point, it would be subject to easy abuse), but the problem remains. How about, then, allowing thread creators to prohibit certain posters from contributing to their threads? Would that be possible? Would it work?
    No. It would allow people to prohibit posting by those with alternative opinions in their own threads.
  3. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    24 Oct '12 21:42 / 2 edits
    If there was an easy solution, someone would have come up with one by now. Most forums are plagued by trolls, only severe moderation works as far as I can see. I'm in two minds about our particular troll. A lonely sick person desperately trying to participate and not understanding that he's making himself the most disliked person in these forums, or a pompous bore who likes to air his erudition even if it's only internet-earned superfluity. One of those types deserves severe moderation, the other is harder to deal with if we are real compassionate human beings.
  4. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    24 Oct '12 23:25
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Ok, so we've established that it would probably be unfair to ban trolls by public vote (and more to the point, it would be subject to easy abuse), but the problem remains. How about, then, allowing thread creators to prohibit certain posters from contributing to their threads? Would that be possible? Would it work?
    It'd be better to just change the "Ignore User" option so it ignores their posts, too. That way you can hide someone's posts for yourself without hiding them for me.
  5. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    25 Oct '12 00:15
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    It'd be better to just change the "Ignore User" option so it ignores their posts, too. That way you can hide someone's posts for yourself without hiding them for me.
    That's why I like the gbaway2 script. We need to get Russ to incorporate that into the site so that it's available for everyone, not just firefox users.
  6. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    25 Oct '12 11:25
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    That's why I like the gbaway2 script. We need to get Russ to incorporate that into the site so that it's available for everyone, not just firefox users.
    recced
  7. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    25 Oct '12 14:35
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    That's why I like the gbaway2 script. We need to get Russ to incorporate that into the site so that it's available for everyone, not just firefox users.
    Then again, in any kind of just universe, there should be some punishment for using Internet Explorer.
  8. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    25 Oct '12 20:53
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Then again, in any kind of just universe, there should be some punishment for using Internet Explorer.
    Its a punishment in itself.
  9. 29 Oct '12 23:35
    Any software solution to this would cost - guessing most users wouldn't be prepared to pay an extra 5+ for upgraded forum software [along the lines of facepalmbook]

    Better/cheaper option is users reporting trolling to the site mods, who will quickly get fed up of a troll getting multiple reports [which they have to check] - or get annoyed with those crying "troll" with no justification.

    DoI = mod other fora, not this one.