Ideas for clans

Standard memberRemoved
Site Ideas 09 Jan '11 11:03
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 11:03
    There has been a little chatter lately on One Man Clans and that they should not be allowed to exist. I have an alternative idea (amongst others) and was wondering what people thought about these four suggestions?

Idea 1Do not allow new subscribers to create a clan for a year. The majority of clans that are one man are created by new members who have only just joined the site or subscribed. Whilst looking through the list that Gixxer created (great spreadsheet i recommend it to all leaders) - i noticed a lot of 1 man clans that had been created by new members who played a handful of challenges and then left the site. We have enough clans out there so i think that new subscribers can't create a clan in their first year of membership.

Idea 2 No creation of new clans - picking up inactive clans. Also on my trawl through Gixxer's spreadsheet i found some clans that NEVER had a challenge and also have a very small history. Given that the clans are now based on net points per annum this means the history of these clans is not quite as important as it was in the older system. I suggest users not being allowed to create new clans but instead to be taken to these inactive clans and adopt one of those.

Idea 3 With new subscribers would it be possible if they could tick a box somewhere to go on a clan waiting list? Considering that most do not post in the forums this might be useful. I have recently recruited 19 members for my clan and most of them had no idea about clans etc.

Idea 4 Posting something somewhere for all to see about the ins and outs of Clans - how they work etc, this might encourage more people into clans and help increase the membership of existing clans.

Thoughts?
    Silverstriker
  2. Bristol, UK
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 11:24
    Originally posted by Silverstriker
    ...the list that Gixxer created...
    In case anyone is wondering... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2030303/All_RHP_Clans.xls
  3. Bristol, UK
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 11:44
    Thoughts?
    Idea 1 This would be a little unfair on new subscribers when they've paid the subscription to get all the extra features. Maybe creating a themed clan was what got them paying in the first place? I'm less bothered about one-person clans now we've got the clan tables based on annual performance, and I believe clans don't show up in searches if they have not had an active challenge for a month. Defunct clans soon sink to the bottom of the database whether one-person or many.

Idea 2 I definitely agree that this process could be made easier, perhaps by allowing any sub (not already a clan leader) to be able to take over leadership of a defunct clan (any clan where the leader is no longer a sub) by clicking a link on the clan page. I seem to recall someone saying that if a clan has a private forum then changing the name of the clan doesn't change the name of the forum. I've never tried it, but I'm sure it would put anyone off taking over the 'Silly Buggers clan'. 🙂

Idea 4 You mean like at Help : clans?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 11:49
    Good spreadsheet and good ideas SS. I notice that 16 clans have more than the 20 member limit - how is this possible?

74 Fast Players 21
    149 Be :-) Clan! 21
    190 Express Lane 21
    24241 Devoted to Dogs 21
    24434 Smiffy's Pawn Stars. 21
    24601 The Marshals. 21
    24643 Amsterdamn Clan 21
    24953 History Buffs 21
    24298 In Vino Veritas 22
    24404 Clan with a Mission 22
    24827 King gets kicked! 22
    25106 Spinning Stars 22
    212 Scotland 23
    24614 Chessaroos 23
    25021 The Drunken Pawns 23
    25113 Pale Yellow Star Clan! 23
  5. Bristol, UK
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 14:49
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I notice that 16 clans have more than the 20 member limit - how is this possible?
    The number of members includes those who are leaving but still playing out clan games.
  6. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 21:29
    There has been a little chatter lately on One Man Clans and that they should not be allowed to exist. I have an alternative idea (amongst others) and was wondering what people thought about these four suggestions?

[b] Idea 1
    Do not allow new subscribers to create a clan for a year. The majority of clans that are one man are created by new membe ...[text shortened]... ple into clans and help increase the membership of existing clans.

Thoughts?
    Silverstriker[/b]
    I see no reason, not have I heard a good reason, why one man clans should not be allowed.

Why would increasing a clan to say 2 members make it more acceptable? 🙄

Idea 1 - You are restricting one of the membership rights. Say someone joined with 11 friends from a chess club and decided to set up their own clan. Why would they want to be associated with a clans prior history/membership?

Idea 2 - As idea 1

Idea 3 - There are hundreds of clan and hundreds of clan members. They managed to find the Clan section OK, so I think other could as well.

Idea 4 - already catered for in the Help section
  7. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 16:19
    Sounds like I should start my own Clan so I can have ownership before the lockdown of no new clans!

haha.
  8. Joined
    16 May '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '11 12:37
    Do it like they do in the Baseball hall of Fame voting. Every year the lowest pool of players that receive like less than 10% of the vote are no longer eligible for the vote next year. IT keeps the target pool a bit smaller.

The bottom x % of clans simply get removed once per year.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '11 15:47
    a one player clan is just a chess ladder with a picture.
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Feb '11 17:57
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Sounds like I should start my own Clan so I can have ownership before the lockdown of no new clans!

haha.
    Most probably I can point you to a clan if yiou want to be captain so urgently 😉
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 02:14

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree