1. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 03:45
    I think a live forum might be a great new social addition to the site, as it would help people chat/discuss things real-time.

Similarly, something akin to Facebook chat where you can IM people who you've listed as buddies, would also be cool.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 07:39
    We have in-game messages, private messages, public forums, and private forums. Instant-gratification stuff like chat has no place on a turn-based chess site for grownups.
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 13:33
    Originally posted by abejnood
    I think a live forum might be a great new social addition to the site, as it would help people chat/discuss things real-time.
    We have a live forum: this is it. It's a forum, and if you post a message, it appears live, in real time, as you post it. What more does a civilised web-used want?

Richard
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 16:04
    Originally posted by abejnood

Similarly, something akin to Facebook chat where you can IM people who you've listed as buddies, would also be cool.
    Tried it years ago, didn't work out. Also, very hard to moderate, so highly unlikely to ever return.
  5. Joined
    04 May '11
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 19:41
    If you really want one, you could always start RHP irc channel.
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 01:21
    Originally posted by Russ
    Tried it years ago, didn't work out. Also, very hard to moderate, so highly unlikely to ever return.
    Yes, the good old "live chat" days. Been there, done that, and survived the wreck! 🙂

I remember that it was hosted on irc in our own private room, and all the RHP site did was provide a direct link to the chat room. It didn't take very long for things to go totally ballistic there. Certain members at the time couldn't play well together, so our days of live chat were quickly over.

Too bad, because it was somewhat nice and our own forum at that time was still in the early growing stages, but our current forum is just fine, I think!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree