1. Joined
    10 Apr '03
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 22:25
    I propose that each player have a setting that makes other players' ratings visible or invisible.

The question here is: "Do player ratings affect the players who are being rated?"

It is well known in science that the act of observation often changes the behavior of those being observed. This is the so-called "observer effect" which is often confused with the "Heisenberg's principle."

Playing a player with a high rating can be intimidating for some players. As a result, their style of play changes. They may "trust" their high-rated opponent did not blunder and overlook opportunities.

For some players, knowing how good their opponent is before the game has begun has the effect of losing the psychological game before play has even begun.

I propose that the default setting is "Other players' ratings are visible." if any individual player feels that he/she can benefit from not knowing the strength of their opponent, they can change the setting to "Other players' ratings are invisible."

All people are different. One person's trash is another person's treasure. There is little harm in giving people choices.

To not give a person a choice is to give those with high ratings an unfair advantage - their high ratings are an intimidation factor that is hard to ignore.

As a result of this change, I expect that the rating system will perform its function of estimating player strength more effectively. There may even be more satisfied customers of Red Hot Pawn dot com.

-Gary M. Danelishen
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 22:36
    Originally posted by Phillidor284
    To not give a person a choice is to give those with high ratings an unfair advantage - their high ratings are an intimidation factor that is hard to ignore.
    What exactly is unfair about this type of advantage?
  3. Joined
    10 Apr '03
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 23:05
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    What exactly is [b]unfair about this type of advantage?[/b]
    I see you conceded that this is in fact an advantage. The only question you have is why I label it unfair.

Now that we have established that player ratings do not have a neutral effect on all players, I think the better question is "How is any advantage not unfair?"

In the initial starting position, we have complete equality with the only difference being that White has a half move advantage. No other advantages exist.

After the advent of player ratings, this initial equilibrium has been disturbed. Now there is a second advantage - that of intimidation.

I am just trying to help this site serve its customers better. I think that some players may like the option of playing against opponents of anonymous playing strength.

We could debate ethics but, at the end of the day, it only matters whether the needs and wants of consumers are being met.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 23:36
    Now that we have established that player ratings do not have a neutral effect on all players, I think the better question is "How is any advantage not unfair?"
    I can think of several examples of fair advantages. I don't see how this question is even interesting.
  5. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    18 Apr '09 05:27
    I propose that each player have a setting that makes other players' ratings visible or invisible.

The question here is: "Do player ratings affect the players who are being rated?"

It is well known in science that the act of observation often changes the behavior of those being observed. This is the so-called "observer effect" which is often confus ...[text shortened]... n be more satisfied customers of Red Hot Pawn dot com.

-Gary M. Danelishen
    Use hide ratings script.

http://members.shaw.ca/ouroboros/RHP/
  6. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    18 Apr '09 14:12

It is well known in science that the act of observation often changes the behavior of those being observed. This is the so-called "observer effect" which is often confus ...[text shortened]... n be more satisfied customers of Red Hot Pawn dot com.

-Gary M. Danelishen
    Why do you assume others are intimidated by higher ratings?

I feel that I play better (take longer to move anyway) against a higher rated oppponent.

My phlisophy -

Player rated 200 or more points below me I should win
    Anyone within 200 points +/- could go either way

Anyone 200-400 higher than me then I am looking at a hard game. A win is a bonus, a draw is good and a loss is expected.

Anyone 400+ higher then I am out of my depth. A win is to be boasted about, a draw an excellent result and a loss in more than 32 moves I have held out well.

Not knowing in advance the level of player I am up against would have more of a psychological effect.
  7. Joined
    10 Apr '03
    Moves
    18 Apr '09 16:55
    Originally posted by Yuga
    Use hide ratings script.

http://members.shaw.ca/ouroboros/RHP/
    Thanks. This is an example of a helpful reply!

All too often, replies are plagued with words such as 'I' or "my" followed by a knee-jerk rejection of the site suggestion. I think that this type of reply boils down to "egocentrism."

Again, thanks Yuga.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 Apr '09 18:541 edit
    All too often, replies are plagued with words such as 'I' or "my" followed by a knee-jerk rejection of the site suggestion.
    Hmmmm...

I see you conceded that this is in fact an advantage. The only question you have is why I label it unfair.

In the initial starting position, we have complete equality with the only difference being that White has a half move advantage. No other advantages exist.

After the advent of player ratings, this initial equilibrium has been disturbed. Now there is a second advantage - that of intimidation.

I am just trying to help this site serve its customers better. I think that some players may like the option of playing against opponents of anonymous playing strength.

"I" count: 5.
    Highest "I" count in any thread post so far: 7.

Apparently, personal opinion is admissible only if it comes from you. 😕
  9. Joined
    10 Apr '03
    Moves
    18 Apr '09 23:36
    In what capacity does this clown (SwissGambit) work for RedHotPawn?

Is he trying to help the site or is he trying to discourage paying customers from renewing their membership?

Here I try to help you guys out by volunteering a site suggestion only to have this big mouthed megalomaniac come along and belittle me.

He is an embarrassment and the site would do good to disassociate itself from him.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 00:00
    In what capacity does this clown (SwissGambit) work for RedHotPawn?

Is he trying to help the site or is he trying to discourage paying customers from renewing their membership?

Here I try to help you guys out by volunteering a site suggestion only to have this big mouthed megalomaniac come along and belittle me.

He is an embarrassment and the site would do good to disassociate itself from him.
    In case you had not noticed, this is an ideas forum, not a backslapping forum. The point is to discuss pros and cons of ideas and see if they are worth implementing.

Thankfully, free speech tends to win here, despite the occasional whiner who wishes to stifle all dissent.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree