1. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 16:49
    On posers and puzzles quite often some kind of mathematical problem arises that can't be propperly explained, described using a mix of natural language and some ingenious use of the existing symbols. So it would be good for us to have some math tags available. Nothing fancy of course just the more down to earth symbols that are missing.
    For example the use of subscripts and superscripts would be very nice, some symbols of set theory, the more usual one again.
    Of course if this is to troublesome and only appeal to a few of us we can always resort to our previous ingenious methods.

Thanks

Ps: any more ideas on what symbols to have would be fine and please don't, or try to, be funny while at it.
  2. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 17:41
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    On posers and puzzles quite often some kind of mathematical problem arises that can't be propperly explained, described using a mix of natural language and some ingenious use of the existing symbols. So it would be good for us to have some math tags available. Nothing fancy of course just the more down to earth symbols that are missing.
    For example t ...[text shortened]... ideas on what symbols to have would be fine and please don't, or try to, be funny while at it.
    the integral sign (with bounds) would be nice.
  3. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 19:53
    Originally posted by genius
    the integral sign (with bounds) would be nice.
    I'd add the summation sign. With bounds.

ps. pardon the pun, but it would be useful.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 23:36
    This technology exists (see Wikipedia for example) and it's (probably) no harder to have the lot rather than some subset. While I can see that it's hardly a priority - this being a chess and not a maths site - it would be nice.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jul '07 00:101 edit
    ..math...the cereal of the gods...the plasma of the intellects...the grime on
    the pants of true architects...( i hate math....i can only manage long division and i like the remainder sign )...all people who understand math are
    EVIL and want stock in the world bank and want to take over the world....from now on..anyone with a math book, or a slide rule in their pocket must be denied service at every dairy queen in america...it is time
    to save the canadian and american culture from what is obviously a bolivian
    conspiracy to take over our lands with trigometric plans...
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 Jul '07 13:34
    Originally posted by reinfeld
    ..math...the cereal of the gods...the plasma of the intellects...the grime on
    the pants of true architects...( i hate math....i can only manage long division and i like the remainder sign )...all people who understand math are
    EVIL and want stock in the world bank and want to take over the world....from now on..anyone with a math book, or a slide rule in ...[text shortened]... e from what is obviously a bolivian
    conspiracy to take over our lands with trigometric plans...
    Anyone with a slide rule in their pocket has probably just stolen it from a museum.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree