1. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 07:27
    Hi,

On FICS:
    There is a player, Opinel, who was often accused of cheating, because of very high rating(and chess performance also) and also probably because of his (silly in my view) notes.
    Recently, when they planning to ban him, Opinel contacted the site admins and submitted his GM certificate, so it seems the accusations were not correct.(ok, a GM can still use a computer and cheat, but the probability is very low).
    Maybe this should be a good idea to use on this site: when a player rating gets too high, ask them to prove somehow that they are titled players or something, to prove in a way their real life chess.
    What do you think ?
  2. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 07:31
    I think its a good idea.
    I think it can be used in conjunction with other techniques.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 14:17
    Originally posted by vipiu
    Hi,

On FICS:
    There is a player, Opinel, who was often accused of cheating, because of very high rating(and chess performance also) and also probably because of his (silly in my view) notes.
    Recently, when they planning to ban him, Opinel contacted the site admins and submitted his GM certificate, so it seems the accusations were not correct.(ok, a GM can ...[text shortened]... y are titled players or something, to prove in a way their real life chess.
    What do you think ?
    GM OTB or Correspondence? I ask because many associations DON'T check for chess engine use, or even care.

Also, what is their win percentage? If they are GM but lose 5 or 6 percent of the time but NEVER lose on a chess site chances are they are using something to their advantage.

Also also, no human thinks like a computer. Regardless if they are GM, there is no way they should be evaluating millions of positions and constantly matching an engine.

Anyone can cheat. No change required.

P-
  4. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 20:52
    Wasn't there once someone who checked suspect players' games to see what percentage of their moves were exactly what an engine would do? Or am I thinking of another site?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree