1. Joined
    16 Aug '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 09:42
    I reckon a good idea for this site is to get a section on the profile page telling people a players average moves per hour so that people who want a relatively fast game know who to challenge. Anyone agree?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 09:53
    Originally posted by TheBadBishop
    I reckon a good idea for this site is to get a section on the profile page telling people a players average moves per hour so that people who want a relatively fast game know who to challenge. Anyone agree?
    Members like Helden, producing 13000 moves this month until now, can have quite many moves per hour, but still you have to wait quite a long for himm to make a moe in one of your gmaes.

Moves per hour doesn't say much.

Why not play blitz?
  3. Joined
    16 Aug '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 10:02
    well if the average only took into account the last 1 or 2 weeks then you wouldnt get that problem. Also, blitz is good for that, except that there is no rating and the is a limited amount of players using it.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 10:131 edit
    When I'm about to challenge someone, I go to his profile and read
    (1) how many games he has going, (has he time for me too?)
    (2) how many moves has he done this month, (more or less active than me?)
    (3) his graph (anomalies, rooler coaster effect)
    (4) if he has many time outs, (is he an on/off-player?)
    (5) his flag (is he of the same dayrythm as I?

Moves per hour is only one minor detail.
    Why not ask him? "Do you like to play a game with me and finish it quite soon?"
  5. Joined
    16 Aug '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 10:161 edit
    whilst that is true, and it wont always be a good indication neither is the moves that month thing, I think it would be another useful tool. It would also be really easy to add. Like really all it is is just the same as the moves in the last month except divided by the number of hours in the month.
  6. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 15:35
    Moves per hour means nothing without looking at the gameload

Player A 300 games ongoing makes 900 moves per hour

3 moves per game on average

Player B 20 games ongoing makes 100 moves per hour

5 moves per game on average

Player C 4 games ongoing makes 60 moves per hour

15 moves per game on average

Who would you rather play against for a fast game?
  7. Joined
    16 Aug '08
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 12:01
    alright then what about average moves per game per hour?
  8. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 12:18
    It would still not give you the info you required.

Average moves per game per hour will depend on both players being at the game and moving quickly.
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 12:26
    Actually you can see how the players rate themselves. I don't think we need more information.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Sep '08 13:161 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Actually you can see how the players rate themselves. I don't think we need more information.
    Exactly. And each game has a time control that is set by the players.

I wish people would realize this site is for correspondence chess, and as such, attempts to increase the speed of the games are entirely unwelcome. And make no mistake, putting a timer on everyone, monitoring their "moves per hour", is nothing short of an attempt to speed up the games.

Want a "fast" game? Go play blitz, or play on Yahoo, or something. But leave those of us who enjoy correspondence chess alone, please.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree