1. Joined
    28 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Jul '06 09:02
    In the My Performance page, it would be nice to have some sort of indicator as to which of your opponents have been banned for engine use.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Jul '06 09:052 edits
    Even a "[E]" after their name would be ok.
  3. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 06:48
    Originally posted by aging blitzer
    In the My Performance page, it would be nice to have some sort of indicator as to which of your opponents have been banned for engine use.
    Especially if it included the engine used and how many rating points you lost/got cheated out of/etc...
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 10:01
    Originally posted by c99ux
    Especially if it included the engine used and how many rating points you lost/got cheated out of/etc...
    Except that the Game Mods don't prove which engine a cheater was using but just that they were using an engine.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 18:17
    Originally posted by aging blitzer
    I'd like to see all banned players have their handle displayed with a line drawn through it. This (hopefully) takes care of every place their names appear, from tourney results to forum posts (bragging about their 'wins'😉 to performance pages.
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 18:29
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I'd like to see all banned players have their handle displayed with a line drawn through it. This (hopefully) takes care of every place their names appear, from tourney results to forum posts (bragging about their 'wins'😉 to performance pages.
    Good idea.
    Should be simple for the admin to put a line through a username.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 19:221 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Except that the Game Mods don't prove which engine a cheater was using but just that they were using an engine.
    The Game Mods don't prove or demonstrate anything. They only assert.
  8. London
    Moves
    15 Jul '06 01:28
    One of the mods confirmed that IM31 was using deep junior. I'm not going to find it for you though.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 21:01
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    The Game Mods don't prove or demonstrate anything. They only assert.
    So what's the big difference?
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 21:28
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    So what's the big difference?
    Between an assertion and a proof? Surely you jest.
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 19:24
    Between an assertion and a proof? Surely you jest.
    No jest. What is the big difference?
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 19:444 edits
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    No jest. What is the big difference?
    An assertion is merely a claim that something is the case, that some proposition is true. The claim need not be true in order for the claim to be an assertion.

For example, one assertion is "RHP is an active chess community with over 100,000 members."

A proof demonstrates that the claim is true. A proof of the above assertion could take the form of a list of 100,000 usernames in use at this site, which could be verified by anybody who is interested in and in doubt of the truth of the assertion.

Only true claims can be proven. I have yet to see a proof of the example assertion, and I remain unconvinced of its truth.

In the context at hand, another example of an assertion is "Dr. Strangelove is an engine user." This is the only sort of output that the Game Mods generate - that is all that they have said about those banned. They have given no proof, no reason for us to believe that their assertions are true, and no means of verifying their findings or of validating their methods.

How did you become a doctor without mastering this elementary concept of critical thinking?
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '06 01:12
    An assertion is merely a claim that something is the case, that some proposition is true. The claim need not be true in order for the claim to be an assertion.

For example, one assertion is "RHP is an active chess community with over 100,000 members."

A proof demonstrates that the claim is true. A proof of the above assertion could take the f ...[text shortened]...
    How did you become a doctor without mastering this elementary concept of critical thinking?
    I doubt if you are ever likely to see any cast-iron proof - no one is.
  14. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    18 Jul '06 01:16

A proof demonstrates that the claim is true. A proof of the above assertion could take the f ...[text shortened]...
    But surely the Game Mods could still prove that someone is an engine cheat despite the fact they haven't proved to you that their proof is not an assertion?
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    18 Jul '06 01:361 edit
    But surely the Game Mods could still prove that someone is an engine cheat despite the fact they haven't proved to you that their proof is not an assertion?
    Surely? On what information do you base this certainty? Your claim is nothing more than speculation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree