1. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    27 Jul '11 04:07
    I don't bother checking the Announcements forums very often because long stretches can go between them. I occasionally check the Help forum but not all the time.

How about an icon of some sort that alerts a recent posting in a Forum, or ideally, a forum that hasn't been opened since a new thread has been started. To make it even better, we'd have the chance to select those forums where we would like the alerts. Presumably the Announcements are one place that could be automatically notified.

Is it too hard to do? Too much CPI usage? Seems to a computer idiot like me that it should be simple and easy and fast and cost nothing.
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    27 Jul '11 04:301 edit
    Originally posted by coquette
    I don't bother checking the Announcements forums very often because long stretches can go between them. I occasionally check the Help forum but not all the time.

How about an icon of some sort that alerts a recent posting in a Forum, or ideally, a forum that hasn't been opened since a new thread has been started. To make it even better, we'd have the cha ...[text shortened]... eems to a computer idiot like me that it should be simple and easy and fast and cost nothing.
    Alerted simply to check out the new alert system.
    Edit: Same ol same ol.😞
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    27 Jul '11 05:15
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Alerted simply to check out the new alert system.
    Edit: Same ol same ol.😞
    i guess i couldn't explain it clear enough. maybe someone can help.
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    27 Jul '11 19:39
    i guess i couldn't explain it clear enough. maybe someone can help.
    You explained it fine, I was joking. I do think it would be nice to know when there are new posts in the Announ. Forum. 😉
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    27 Jul '11 20:50

How about an icon of some sort that alerts a recent posting in a Forum, or ideally, a forum that hasn't been opened since a new thread has been started. To make it even better, we'd have the cha ...[text shortened]... eems to a computer idiot like me that it should be simple and easy and fast and cost nothing.
    It can be done already without much palaver.

Click on Forums shows all the forums.

Skim down list to view the forum you are interested in.

Is the date of the last post before or after your last visit?

If before, then no activity so you don't need to look.

If after, then visit forum to see what it was.
  6. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 04:25
    Originally posted by adramforall

thanks!

now, just to demonstrate user friendliness . . . i didn't think about that. it wouldn't be so hard to color code it or highlight it in some way. that way, when i click on the forums, the announcements or site ideas or whatever could stand out for me. seems silly enough to ask, but just so easy to do for a programmer, isn't it?
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 08:56
    If you have Firefox with the addons and greasemonkey stuff, you can get lots of different coloured dots telling you forum things. Trouble is, you have to go to the thread list to see what they're doing. 🙁
  8. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 04:13
    Originally posted by adramforall

So I should remember the date of my last visit? What if there are no new announcements for six weeks. I'm supposed to remember the dates that I visited the various forums? Don't computers do that?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree