Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 30 Dec '06 00:23
    This would be a useful feature, too many players resign early thus removing the pleasure of discovering a check mate. I also think some of the best chess is played when your back is against the wall. If I could determine number of resignations I could avoid these quitters/players. Some better players might like them as it makes for a quick win. What do you think.
  2. 30 Dec '06 00:29
    Originally posted by fearofforking
    This would be a useful feature, too many players resign early thus removing the pleasure of discovering a check mate. I also think some of the best chess is played when your back is against the wall. If I could determine number of resignations I could avoid these quitters/players. Some better players might like them as it makes for a quick win. What do you think.
    While I can see many people liking this idea for the opposite reason to yourself, it sounds near impossible to implement. How do you distinguish between someone who resigned as soon as they fell behind in a game and someone who dragged things out and resigned one move from mate?
  3. Standard member KJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    30 Dec '06 01:15
    Throwing in the game where you are down 1 major piece, 2 or more pawns to your king. It would be hard to sit back and watch your demise happen as well.
  4. 30 Dec '06 04:33
    Does anyone play to the bitter end?
  5. Standard member c99ux
    'Sir' to you
    30 Dec '06 06:55
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Does anyone play to the bitter end?
    Yup. I try to play all my games to the end. I would always hang on in hope of a stalemate or force a draw.


    Having said that, I have resigned a few games when my gameload got too much, or I didn't care about the loss or rating points. I have also resigned games to finish clan challenges because I wanted the points.
  6. 30 Dec '06 08:05
    I think lower rated players are tended to agree with you and higher rated players don't agree. (Lower, higher rated? Yes, relatively speaking. Tended? Yes, statistically speaking.) So instead of waiting for this feature, just look at their rating to decide if he is prone to playing the game out or if he resign early.

    But hten we have subs/no-subs too. I think that no-subs more likely to resign early, just to start another game. As a no-sub you only have 6 games to deal with, why let all of these games go on forever walking to the guillotine just to pleasure the opponents wish to have his checkmate? I'm a sub so I can easily start a new game and play the easy one, boring one with my left hand.

    When you start a new game with a new opponent you can search his public games to se what kind o player e really is. Many short games, many long games, many time-outs, many resigned games, even what kind of openings he prefer. A mine of information.

    So, I think that much information about yur opponent is there already.
  7. 01 Jan '07 16:03
    No doubt everyone will have a few resignations. I would tend to avoid the players with an unusually high proportion of resigned games.
  8. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    01 Jan '07 18:36
    Originally posted by fearofforking
    This would be a useful feature, too many players resign early thus removing the pleasure of discovering a check mate. I also think some of the best chess is played when your back is against the wall. If I could determine number of resignations I could avoid these quitters/players. Some better players might like them as it makes for a quick win. What do you think.
    When you win a game, if you don't know why just ask.

    Please don't insult users, many have a good reason.

    I've been checkmated 2 or 3 times, I try to resign first. This shows at least you know when you've been beat.

    If you don't know why you won, ask nice. Perhaps you'll learn something?

    P-
  9. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    01 Jan '07 18:39
    Originally posted by Ian68
    While I can see many people liking this idea for the opposite reason to yourself, it sounds near impossible to implement. How do you distinguish between someone who resigned as soon as they fell behind in a game and someone who dragged things out and resigned one move from mate?
    I resign all my games in good order. Too soon quiet often by some user's standards. I know when I'm beat, and I'm not going to wait for a blunder by moving over and over.

    There are several reasons I resign, showing my number will prove nothing. As a chess player, I pride myself on not falling into a mate. You should see it coming and say 'Good Game!'

    P-
  10. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    01 Jan '07 19:55
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    You should see it coming and say 'Good Game!'

    P-
    If I see it coming, I say good game, and will sometimes offer to play to the end (usually where there's been a bit of effort put in to get that far) so the satisfaction of the mating-move can be had.
  11. 01 Jan '07 20:12
    wasn't kramnik on the wrong end of a mate-in-1 recently ?
  12. 02 Jan '07 19:23
    I am not insulting anyone, those that resign (at whatever time and for whatever reason) are no less valid than those that do not. I agree the statistic would not be a definative measure of any players habits but could still prove useful anyhow. A player with 30 losses and 30 resignations, for example, I would avoid.
  13. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    02 Jan '07 20:09
    Originally posted by fearofforking
    I am not insulting anyone, those that resign (at whatever time and for whatever reason) are no less valid than those that do not. I agree the statistic would not be a definative measure of any players habits but could still prove useful anyhow. A player with 30 losses and 30 resignations, for example, I would avoid.
    So you're saying you only want to play users who drag a game out well past the point they are beaten?

    Strange.

    P-
  14. Subscriber BigDoggProblemonline
    The Advanced Mind
    02 Jan '07 20:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by fearofforking
    This would be a useful feature, too many players resign early thus removing the pleasure of discovering a check mate. I also think some of the best chess is played when your back is against the wall. If I could determine number of resignations I could avoid these quitters/players. Some better players might like them as it makes for a quick win. What do you think.
    Resignation is a perfectly acceptable way of conceding defeat. Try looking at games of high rated players; you'll see that very very few of them end in checkmate.

    Edit: Game 2845072 Apparently you don't follow your own advice. Why'd you resign?
  15. 02 Jan '07 21:54
    Yes,thats right, it is acceptable, i'm not refuting that.