no title

no title

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
18 Jan 14

Every mating diagram I have seen on the home page on logging in has been so elementary it is sad. Generally the loser has played on against overwhelming force and is mated by a queen. Can the demo mates be selected for their interest/instructive value rather than 'most recent?. Even a cleverly played draw is far more worthy of study than such easy wins.

Meanwhile, in one of my active games, I hold K + Kt + 7 pawns against K + 4 pawns and wonder why my opponent doesn't resign ... but am reluctant to ask. Is there a civil and acceptable way to encourage a resignation or at least put the thought in his/her mind?

Infidel

Moves
18 Jan 14

Is there a civil and acceptable way to encourage a resignation or at least put the thought in his/her mind?

Make a really good move that will make your opponent think "Whoa, I'm not going to beat this guy. Better resign!"

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
18 Jan 14

Originally posted by Coach David
Every mating diagram I have seen on the home page on logging in has been so elementary it is sad. Generally the loser has played on against overwhelming force and is mated by a queen. Can the demo mates be selected for their interest/instructive value rather than 'most recent?. Even a cleverly played draw is far more worthy of study than such easy wins. ...[text shortened]... civil and acceptable way to encourage a resignation or at least put the thought in his/her mind?
a) It would need a person to find instructive mates. I assume your suggestion states you would volunteer for a job there?

b) Demonstrate the forced mate in a message. This is the most polite form I can think of.

Moves
18 Jan 14

To Ponderable
a) Yes, I would be glad to take the responsibility to find great finishers among the recent finishes. I would need to have access to the latest wins. I would want to leave each game on the site intro for 2 or 3 days.
b) No way can I show a forced mate with 30 moves to go before my pretty inevitable victory. I just need a polite form of words to make my opponent think about resigning!

Moves
18 Jan 14

King Rat
Nice of you to respond: I have been making enough good moves already to get into a winning position. Am I allowed to ask my opponent to quit - or am I obliged to follow the standard formula by asking, 'Are you playing for the win?'

Infidel

Moves
18 Jan 14

I wasn't being completely serious. I've seen you post questions like this before. "Why don't people resign when they're clearly losing?" and people have given you answers to this question (Thread 157255).

Why do you care so much about people (not) resigning? Just enjoy the games, make a move when it's your turn and work towards checkmate.

Stop worrying about such an unimportant issue.

Moves
19 Jan 14

Doesn't "inevitable victory" really mean "inevitable victory, assuming that I don't get cocky and make a mistake"? I've seen many a stalemate arise from such inevitable wins. I've also lost a number of games that I knew for a fact were mine to win....