1. Joined
    17 Sep '11
    Moves
    21 Sep '11 23:46
    Hey guys! I'm relatively new to the site, so I'm still learning about the features here.

I've know that the green icon next to a player's name indicates that they have made a move within the past 10 minutes, which is a great feature because I know that they've been online within the past 10 minutes. However, the icon does not indicate whether a player is currently online or not, even if they have moved wihtin the last 10 minutes. On the "Find Player" page at the top, there is a box that says "Is Online Now?" for searching for a player, but that only shows players who have moved within the last 10 minutes. If you use the "Is Online Now?" option to look for yourself, and you haven't moved within the last 10 minutes, you won't find yourself, even if you're currently online.

My site idea is an icon next to each player's name (similar to the green icon) which will indicate if they are currently online. This way, we would be more likely to stay online and wait for our opponent(s) to move if we know they are online, or more likely to log off if none of them are online.

Ultimately, this feature would allow us to play more games and quicker games at the same time (not including blitz).

I would greatly appreciate thoughts anyone might have regarding my idea.

Thanks!
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    22 Sep '11 06:13
    Originally posted by battlecry
    Hey guys! I'm relatively new to the site, so I'm still learning about the features here.

I've know that the green icon next to a player's name indicates that they have made a move within the past 10 minutes, which is a great feature because I know that they've been online within the past 10 minutes. However, the icon does not indicate whether a player i ...[text shortened]... would greatly appreciate thoughts anyone might have regarding my idea.

Thanks!
    more games? that's why we subscribe!
  3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    22 Sep '11 11:55
    Originally posted by battlecry

I've know that the green icon next to a player's name indicates that they have made a move within the past 10 minutes, which is a great feature because I know that they've been online within the past 10 minutes. However, the icon does not indicate whether a player i ...[text shortened]... would greatly appreciate thoughts anyone might have regarding my idea.

Thanks!
    What happens when someone is online, moves, then decides to leave the site but doesn't log off?

You could be waiting hours for them to move again!

Many folk also don't bother with the wee green light, I know mine is off.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Sep '11 15:40
    Originally posted by adramforall
    What happens when someone is online, moves, then decides to leave the site but doesn't log off?

When the green light is ON you are obligated to move in ALL your games! When I see a green dot, and that person doesn't move in MY game I quickly add them to my ignore list and send them a PM message letting them know exactly how I feel about them being cowards.

P-
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '11 15:41
    Originally posted by adramforall

My green dot is off and i never log out of the site... unless using a different computer, obviously. Would that mean that it shows me to be always online, because i never log off?

I've had that problem at ConquerClub.com they show when you're online and automatically log you off if you haven't used the site for 30 mins or so, that's 30 mins when you're not there but seen as being online, 'that jerk isn't replying to my message even though he's online'.

It's fine the way it is here.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Sep '11 16:09
    Originally posted by Trev33
    My green dot is off and i never log out of the site... unless using a different computer, obviously. Would that mean that it shows me to be always online, because i never log off?

I've had that problem at ConquerClub.com they show when you're online and automatically log you off if you haven't used the site for 30 mins or so, that's 30 mins when you're not ...[text shortened]... sn't replying to my message even though he's online'.

It's fine the way it is here.
    The green light shuts off 10 minutes after making a move if no more moves are made. People who shut it off are cowards afraid to make all their moves.

P-
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    22 Sep '11 22:03
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    The green light shuts off 10 minutes after making a move if no more moves are made. People who shut it off are cowards afraid to make all their moves.

P-
    Or they're people who live in the real world and don't feel compelled to make a move immediately just because it's their turn. 😕

Seriously, reducing the 10 minutes to 4 or 5 would give a better picture. Of course, people who take 20 minutes to make a move won't have a green dot all the time. But that's already true ...
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '11 22:20
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Or they're people who live in the real world and don't feel compelled to make a move immediately just because it's their turn. 😕
    You're the first person to ever imply that I live in the 'real world' 😵
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Sep '11 22:561 edit
    You're the first person to ever imply that I live in the 'real world' 😵
    I don't think she meant you specifically, just people in general. 😛

If so, I would be willing to debate that one! 😉
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 00:38
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    I don't think she meant you specifically, just people in general. 😛

If so, I would be willing to debate that one! 😉
    In this case i was people in general. Sorry, can't let you have this one Rusty 😀
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 02:23
    In this case i was people in general. Sorry, can't let you have this one Rusty 😀
    OK, Please explain how you were the people in general when the poster was answering a Phlabby Post?
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 02:26
    OK, Please explain how you were the people in general when the poster was answering a Phlabby Post?
    Because he was answering my post. Check and mate lol
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 02:49
    Because he was answering my post. Check and mate lol
    I still don't think she meant you specifically though. We'll have to see what she says on that one! 😉
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 03:56
    I still don't think she meant you specifically though. We'll have to see what she says on that one! 😉
    She didn't, of course... i fitted into her box though so i'm taking it. This 'real world' living is tough 😵
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 05:30
    I actually meant all those people who don't always clear their "My Move" board. I envy them, I'm far too much of a control freak to be able to do it myself. So trev33, if you qualify, then you are included. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree