Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

1. 13 Nov '13 11:43
    The whole point of the recommended posts page is to give the view a brief list of the interesting posts of the past week. The way the system is a post with 2 thumbs up and no thumbs down appears ahead of a post with 9 thumbs up and 8 thumbs down.

Which post would you rather read?
  2. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    13 Nov '13 16:51
    Originally posted by Trev33
    The whole point of the recommended posts page is to give the view a brief list of the interesting posts of the past week. The way the system is a post with 2 thumbs up and no thumbs down appears ahead of a post with 9 thumbs up and 8 thumbs down.

SwissGambit Seal of Approval®
  3. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    13 Nov '13 21:31
    Supported.
  4. Standard member Grampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    14 Nov '13 00:41

Trev, why not rank the Recommended Posts by a combined total of the Thumbs Up and Down. Though I've seen a few posts with two dozen, the seventeen (9 + 8) in your example would surely be near the top of page one. The issue is readership.
  5. Subscriber Ponderableonline
    chemist
    14 Nov '13 11:47
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Trev, why not rank the Recommended Posts by a combined total of the Thumbs Up and Down. Though I've seen a few posts with two dozen, the seventeen (9 + 8) in your example would surely be near the top of page one. The issue is readership.
    Since 17 thumbs down and none up would rate a post equally high, but probably signify the contents as drivel.

I support the original idea.
  6. Standard member Grampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    14 Nov '13 13:21
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Since 17 thumbs down and none up would rate a post equally high, but probably signify the contents as drivel.

I support the original idea.
    Drivel is ignored; provocative posts elicit replies from conversationalists with differing points of view (and drive by Thumbs Down only from cowards). Giving these posts and host threads higher profile invites increased conversation; public forum post volume drives site advertiser revenues. Seventeen Thumbs Down is highly unlikely, unless privately encouraged.
  7. 14 Nov '13 15:59
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    People thumb your posts down for a reason.
  8. Standard member Grampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    14 Nov '13 23:08
    Originally posted by darvlay
    People thumb your posts down for a reason.
    Would the "reason" relate to assessments made on page two of Thread 156283?
  9. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    16 Nov '13 16:37 / 1 edit

It is 'Recommended Posts', not 'Most Interesting Posts'.

A post with 8 thumbs down isn't really 'recommended' now, is it?

Also, controversy does not make a post 'interesting'.

No, the thumbs down is vital info. I see what you're trying to do here. Your aim is to remove any reason for voting thumbs down on any post. Why bother to vote it down if 9 morons can get together and vote a post up and get it on the page, despite 8 or 9 thumbs down votes?

Maybe you should just figure out how to write better posts, instead of relying on people with bad taste.
  10. 19 Nov '13 22:16
    Originally posted by Suzianne

No, the thumbs down is vital info. I see what you're trying to do here. Your aim is to remove any reason for voting thumbs down on any post. Why bother to vote it down if ...[text shortened]... u should just figure out how to write better posts, instead of relying on people with bad taste.
    So if a post with 8 thumbs down isn't recommended neither is a post with 10 thumbs up by your theory. I'd rather read the post with 10 thumbs up and 8 down over the boring chess forum 2 thumbs up post any day.

And there's not a 'hidden agenda' about every post in the forums, unlike you might believe some are just as they appear.

I can say the same about 9, or even 4 morons getting together and pushing what should be a a high rated post down, as we see many times in the general forum.
  11. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    20 Nov '13 02:43
    Originally posted by Suzianne

No, the thumbs down is vital info. I see what you're trying to do here. Your aim is to remove any reason for voting thumbs down on any post. Why bother to vote it down if ...[text shortened]... u should just figure out how to write better posts, instead of relying on people with bad taste.
    If it's not 'most interesting', it should be.

And absolutely, controversy makes a post interesting. You could not be more wrong on that one.
  12. Standard member Grampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    21 Nov '13 04:17
    So if a post with 8 thumbs down isn't recommended neither is a post with 10 thumbs up by your theory. I'd rather read the post with 10 thumbs up and 8 down over the boring chess forum 2 thumbs up post any day.

And there's not a 'hidden agenda' about every post in the forums, unlike you might believe some are just as they appear.

I can say the same about ...[text shortened]... and pushing what should be a a high rated post down, as we see many times in the general forum.
    "I can say the same about 9, or even 4 morons getting together and pushing what should be a a high rated post down, as we see many times in the general forum."

Happens frequently with 3-4...