1. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 18:14
    How about offering a pair of games, one playing black and one playing white?

It might seem trivial, but I don't see a reason why not to do it. All you'd have to do is make an option to offer the invite as a paired offering and an option to accept only one game or both.
  2. Bristol, UK
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 18:18
    An excellent idea!
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 22:45
    Supported.
  4. Upstate NY
    Moves
    12 Jul '11 16:34
    Agree - nice idea!
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 19:03
    Originally posted by coquette

It might seem trivial, but I don't see a reason why not to do it. All you'd have to do is make an option to offer the invite as a paired offering and an option to accept only one game or both.
    Excellent Idea!

Rec'd
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    18 Jul '11 14:37

I like the idea of making a "paired offering" open invite but I do not see the point of having the option to split the offered pair and accept only one of those games. Taking only one game defeats the whole purpose of adding the "paired offering" feature.

If you want to play that person only one game you can just send them a separate challenge for one game.

Or did I miss something?

....just my thoughts ! 🙂
  7. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 03:59
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    I like the idea of making a "paired offering" open invite but I do not see the point of having the option to split the offered pair and accept only one of those games. Taking only one game defeats the whole purpose of adding the "paired offering" feature.

If you want to play that person only one game you can just send them a separate challenge for one game.

Or did I miss something?

....just my thoughts ! 🙂
    Non-subs only have six match game limits, so you'd wipe out a lot of invites for non-subs in the open invites if you made the offerings paired only. i think a lot of non-sub offers would be for paired only matches. just a guess.
  8. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 13:59
    Non-subs only have six match game limits, so you'd wipe out a lot of invites for non-subs in the open invites if you made the offerings paired only. i think a lot of non-sub offers would be for paired only matches. just a guess.
    Is it your suggestion to eliminate the open invite for a single game? I'm certainly not suggesting that the open invite offer be for a paired game only.

We currently create an open invite for single games only. I assumed your suggestion would keep that option and just add a new option to offer an open invite for a pair of games instead of just the single game.

Perhaps I misunderstood your OP.

If your suggestion is to keep the current open invite system and just add a new option to offer a pair of games, then I think that is a good idea.
    I DO NOT AGREE with being able to take up the pair offer and then cancel one of the pair to play a single game.

Non-subs would continue to pick up their games in exactly the same way they now do. The open invite page would show single games and pairs, and they could pick up whatever games their game limit would allow.

If they can only pick up one game because of their limit, then that is their option. If no single games are currently available, they could create one of their own or challenge someone to a single game. Isn't that what they currently do?
  9. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 20:48
    I still like the idea in general, but here are some possible problems to consider and some further thoughts on the "open invite pairs" option.

I assume the current "open invite" procedure would not change. The "pairs" option would just be added to what is now available. We would be able to specify rating limits, create rated or unrated games, etc. in the "pair offer" games as well.

I am also assuming that the pair offer would appear as a single line entry on the "open invite" page, and it would somehow specify that it represents a pair of games, to help avoid confusion. Perhaps in the "color" column it could say "both" or "one of each" or "pair of games". Also someone could create a new icon for "game pair", similar to what is there for the "set-piece" games if that would help set the offer apart from single games. Or a window could pop up when the pair is selected, offering a brief explanation of what this pair offer is.

If the pair option is added as a single line entry and you are required to take both of the games when you take up the offer, there is currently nothing to prevent you from then deleting one of them when they are on your "my games" page. What would happen then?

The current open invite system places a deleted game back on the open invite list. What happens if someone picks up the pair offer then deletes one game when they go to their "my games" page? Would that deleted game go back on the open invite page by itself instead of as a pair offer? Would it be lost in cyberspace, or would the software crash?

Also, deleting one of the games would be contrary to the intent of whoever created the open invite "pair". If they created the "pair" offer then that is what they wanted, to play two games against the same person. Otherwise they would have just put up the usual regular open invite game in the first place.

The "pair" games could be coded differently and be treated as a tournament game so they could not be deleted. However, the automatic timeout feature of a tournament game would also have to be disabled.

What about people on your "ignore list." I'm not familiar with that feature personally, so please correct me if I'm wrong about this! If you have someone on that list, I think they cannot pick up an "open invite" game from you. However I also think if you are both in the same tournament there is a possibility you may have to play a game against them. How would that be handled with a "pair offer" if the games are coded as tournament games to prevent someone from deleting one of them? There may need to be additional code for the ignore list, since the pair games aren't really
    tournament games.

I still do like the idea in general, but adding the option to put up an "open invite pair" would probably be a programming nightmare and more trouble than it would be worth. It would only add a minor convenience and would be nice for that reason. But currently, when you offer a single game there is nothing to prevent you from challenging your new opponent to another game right away, with opposite colors. Now you would be playing that pair of games against the same person and it was easily accomplished with a minor effort and the same result!
  10. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 21:51
    Yes, a member could offer open invites as singles, just as they do now. It's just that they would also be able to offer the invites as doubles, one with white and one with black. I don't really care whether there would be an option to accept just a single out of the doubles offer or not, but i don't see a problem with making it an option when setting up the invite. in any event, i think it should be easy and an enhancement to have paired offering invites.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 00:22

Excellent suggestion. I often offer up pairs of games to be played as black and white but unfortunately not everyone reads the game name!

Recommended!
  12. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    26 Jul '11 04:121 edit
    no comments on the admins about this one yet. if you read through the thread you'll see that all comments and none are negative.

Just asking that you consider giving it a thumbs up or posting some positive comment (or negative) so that Russ might give it some attention. either way is fine

i just noticed that the original post did receive 15 thumbs up! thanks to all who already weighed in!!
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Sep '11 07:03
    17 now.
  14. Standard memberLEUR
    TEXAS
    STATE OF THE HEART
    Moves
    10 Sep '11 12:47
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    17 now.
    ...one more in favor...18 and counting...
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Sep '11 13:33
    We're making it easy for Russ to check Site Ideas, he only has to look at the thumbs on the first post in the thread. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree