Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member Redmike
    Godless Commie
    11 Nov '05 15:46
    The option to not receive reminders has recently been introduced, and this is a good thing.

    However, can we have an option to never SEND reminders?

    I always ignore this option - I don't see it as my responsibility to manage my opponents' moves
  2. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    11 Nov '05 16:24
    Originally posted by Redmike
    The option to not receive reminders has recently been introduced, and this is a good thing.

    However, can we have an option to never SEND reminders?

    I always ignore this option - I don't see it as my responsibility to manage my opponents' moves
    You have the option already! Just continue to ignore the 'send reminder' link...

  3. Standard member Peakite
    Sais
    11 Nov '05 18:51
    True, but it would make the page less cluttered through not actually having these show up.
  4. Standard member zakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    11 Nov '05 21:22
    Originally posted by Peakite
    True, but it would make the page less cluttered through not actually having these show up.
    Buy a bigger monitor.
  5. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    11 Nov '05 22:38
    Originally posted by Peakite
    True, but it would make the page less cluttered through not actually having these show up.
    Then I vote we have an option to customise pages to remove all links we don't use as individuals. I don't use Sieges anymore so I want to stop that cluttering my screen, and clan leagues too - I'll switch it back on if ever my clan wants to be involved....

  6. 15 Nov '05 08:48
    Originally posted by Redmike
    The option to not receive reminders has recently been introduced, and this is a good thing.

    However, can we have an option to never SEND reminders?

    I always ignore this option - I don't see it as my responsibility to manage my opponents' moves
    Come on now, why would you not like to remind your opponents? You surely want to win by timeouts rather than resignations/checkmates. Be a sportsman!

    If they do not play within the time-limit inspite of reminders, timing them out is no sin. However, hoping that they do not play and then timing them out is not chess!
  7. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    15 Nov '05 09:07
    Originally posted by yashsr
    Come on now, why would you not like to remind your opponents? You surely want to win by timeouts rather than resignations/checkmates. Be a sportsman!

    If they do not play within the time-limit inspite of reminders, timing them out is no sin. However, hoping that they do not play and then timing them out is not chess!
    Jesus wept. Yet more insufferable pearls of wisdom from the "newbee free-loader" brigade. When will we be rid of these parasites in the forums. They are simply a waste of bandwidth - Mumbai punkah walah's included.

    skeeter
  8. Standard member Redmike
    Godless Commie
    15 Nov '05 12:30
    Originally posted by yashsr
    Come on now, why would you not like to remind your opponents? You surely want to win by timeouts rather than resignations/checkmates. Be a sportsman!

    If they do not play within the time-limit inspite of reminders, timing them out is no sin. However, hoping that they do not play and then timing them out is not chess!
    By the same logic I should suggest moves to my opponent too.

    I don't think reminders are remotely effective, and reminding my opponent isn't my responsibility anyway.

    If they do not play within the time limit, then they've lost. It is no less 'sporting' to take the win in these circumstances than it is to take a dropped piece.
  9. 15 Nov '05 15:05
    I partially agree.

    Timing out people is within the spirit of the game. But hoping for the opponent not to play, not sending him reminders and then timing him out is a bit out of the spirit of the game I believe.
  10. Standard member Redmike
    Godless Commie
    15 Nov '05 15:20
    Originally posted by yashsr
    I partially agree.

    Timing out people is within the spirit of the game. But hoping for the opponent not to play, not sending him reminders and then timing him out is a bit out of the spirit of the game I believe.
    Nobody said anything about hoping for the opponent to not play.

    I just don't think it is my responsibility to remind my opponent to move.

    If you are playing in an OTB tournament, and your opponent wanders away from the board, and you make a move, what do you do?
    Do you seek out your opponent to tell them it is their move? Don't think so.
  11. 15 Nov '05 15:53
    Yes true, agreed redmike.
  12. Standard member Aiko
    Nearing 200000...!
    16 Dec '05 17:06
    Now that we finally have the option to cancel receiving move reminders, can this feature be extended to cancel the notification of accepted draw offers and the notifications of the start of tournaments too...?