1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    02 Jul '14 07:29
    Originally posted by padger
    I do not agree that it should be permanent it could reduce but at slow rate.As I have already said I once had a purple patch that got me up to 1500 but I could not live with that rating .I would have to leave the site
    If the reason is for a floor is for tournaments it would be much better to have all tournaments as banded then if you exceed the rating that you applied for then you would go up to the next band .no brainer
    You wouldn't have lived with a 1500+ rating; it would have been 1400.

The reason is more than just a floor for tournaments; it's to keep mass timeouts/resignations from producing underrated players.

I'm also not quite clear on how your so-called 'no brainer' idea actually stops sandbagging in banded tourneys.
  2. Here
    Moves
    02 Jul '14 18:13
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    You wouldn't have lived with a 1500+ rating; it would have been 1400.

The reason is more than just a floor for tournaments; it's to keep mass timeouts/resignations from producing underrated players.

I'm also not quite clear on how your so-called 'no brainer' idea actually stops sandbagging in banded tourneys.
    I couldn't have lived with 1400 either
    They wouldn't be able to sand bag because if they won all their games their rating would go up and they would be promoted up to the next level on the next round
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    02 Jul '14 22:53
    I couldn't have lived with 1400 either
    They wouldn't be able to sand bag because if they won all their games their rating would go up and they would be promoted up to the next level on the next round
    You mean that people change tournaments from one round to the next? That would be chaotic, would it not?
  4. Here
    Moves
    03 Jul '14 07:22
    You mean that people change tournaments from one round to the next? That would be chaotic, would it not?
    It would take a bit of organizing but it would stop the sand bagging
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Jul '14 07:34
    It would take a bit of organizing but it would stop the sand bagging
    Perhaps, but at too high a cost, IMO. Better to have some sandbagging than a confusing tourney structure.
  6. Here
    Moves
    03 Jul '14 07:54
    Perhaps, but at too high a cost, IMO. Better to have some sandbagging than a confusing tourney structure.
    It would not be that difficult
    Every tournament would be in bands and in groups of say 10
    1000-1200
    1201-1400
    1401-1600
    1601-1800
    and so on
    Once this was set up it would just follow one after another
    You could still have the odd special tourny
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Jul '14 15:55
    It would not be that difficult
    Every tournament would be in bands and in groups of say 10
    1000-1200
    1201-1400
    1401-1600
    1601-1800
    and so on
    Once this was set up it would just follow one after another
    You could still have the odd special tourny
    Nor do I like the idea of forcing EVERY tournament to be designed in the same way. And I also like the idea of allowing wider bands [say 1600 and up for one section, and below 1600 for another. I like having more options in general, not less. I find your proposal constricting.
  8. Here
    Moves
    03 Jul '14 18:40
    Nor do I like the idea of forcing EVERY tournament to be designed in the same way. And I also like the idea of allowing wider bands [say 1600 and up for one section, and below 1600 for another. I like having more options in general, not less. I find your proposal constricting.
    Fair enough but it would stop the sand baggers you must see that

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree