1. London
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 08:34
    It would be nice if subscribers could set up "invitation only" tournaments so that we can play in a tournament environment against friends / clan members / etc.
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 08:42
    Originally posted by Poisoned Pawn
    It would be nice if subscribers could set up "invitation only" tournaments so that we can play in a tournament environment against friends / clan members / etc.
    Wouldn't take much effort to set it up via PMs.
  3. London
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 10:02
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Wouldn't take much effort to set it up via PMs.
    Erm...yes it would.

20 players, all play all (or even grouped random), no way of ensuring all players stick to the same time control, no automatic time-outs, someone has to keep score...etc etc etc.

All I'm saying is there is obviously a method of setting up tournaments already - why not let subscribers have access to this? They don't have to be public tournaments.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 13:47
    I have promised tournaments organised by individuals themselves since the introductions of tournaments way back.

Stay tuned, something may be in the pipeline regarding this. (But at least 3 months away)

-Russ
  5. London
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 14:03
    Okey, thanks Russ.
  6. Standard memberDOlivier2004
    A Lost Bobby
    The Bermuda Triangle
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 15:461 edit
    We'll check up on you December 20, then. 😛
  7. Standard memberkwgoodwin
    Patently Geeky
    US Midwest
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 16:30
    Originally posted by Russ
    I have promised tournaments organised by individuals themselves since the introductions of tournaments way back.

Stay tuned, something may be in the pipeline regarding this. (But at least 3 months away)

-Russ
    What's the status of this?
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 17:371 edit
    I am still bogged down in the new board code. ('New board code' is not really indicative of how big the project is - it is a huge piece of work impacting many parts of the site.) This really is very nearly finished. I promised the beta to some people last week, I was that confident, but I am still enhancing, finding bugs and fixing.

Once this is out of the way, I am going public with the plans for the next big project, which includes the tournaments. We know people want this, but it is the way it is packaged I want to discuss with people.

Within 2 weeks (that is a promise) I will be discussing my plans and then starting the ground work soon after.

-Russ
  9. Standard memberkwgoodwin
    Patently Geeky
    US Midwest
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 19:46
    I am still bogged down in the new board code. ('New board code' is not really indicative of how big the project is - it is a huge piece of work impacting many parts of the site.) This really is very nearly finished. I promised the beta to some people last week, I was that confident, but I am still enhancing, finding bugs and fixing.

Once this is out of th ...[text shortened]... promise) I will be discussing my plans and then starting the ground work soon after.

-Russ
    Excellent! Thanks for the update and all of your hard work!

10. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 21:05

Once this is out of th ...[text shortened]... promise) I will be discussing my plans and then starting the ground work soon after.

-Russ
    LOL

This is a programmer trade for sure. We constantly underestimate the work involved when writing new code. Just last week I told my boss I'll be late with a set of database driver classes and he said: "That's ok! With you programmers I'm used to add at least a few weeks to your own estimates." (In swedish of course).

Someone ones told me that programming is part experience, part familiarity with the the programming language of choice and mostly a matter of choosing the right priorities.

What I can tell from this site (with the minor expception for the moderator stuff going on) you have your priorities well defined.

Great site! 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree