1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 08:301 edit
    I would like the community to have the opportunity to vote on the abolition of the Game Mods.

I know that I am not alone in feeling that they are a cure that is far worse than the disease, due to their unaccountable and secret nature. The recent banning of Exy is a clear indication of this, regardless of whether he was a cheater or not.

Please, give the community a voice and the ability to correct our mistake of empowering this regime.

Dr. S
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 15:42
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I would like the community to have the opportunity to vote on the abolition of the Game Mods.

I know that I am not alone in feeling that they are a cure that is far worse than the disease, due to their unaccountable and secret nature. The recent banning of Exy is a clear indication of this, regardless of whether he was a cheater or not.

Plea ...[text shortened]... he community a voice and the ability to correct our mistake of empowering this regime.

Dr. S
    "regardless of whether he was a cheater or not"??

Are you serious?

If he was a cheater, he deserved to get banned. Period.
  3. Joined
    23 Feb '03
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 15:43
    Signed 😀
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 15:462 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    "regardless of whether he was a cheater or not"??

Are you serious?

If he was a cheater, he deserved to get banned. Period.
    I'm not saying that cheaters don't deserve to get banned. I'm saying that given the choice between playing with cheaters and having alleged cheaters banned by a secret police, it is quite possible that the community would prefer to keep the cheaters and toss the police. That is the issue that I would like to vote on.
  5. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 16:04
    I'm not saying that cheaters don't deserve to get banned. I'm saying that given the choice between playing with cheaters and having alleged cheaters banned by a secret police, it is quite possible that the community would prefer to keep the cheaters and toss the police. That is the issue that I would like to vote on.
    The forum community is not big enough to decide on the future of the site.

I think the game-mod vote was indicative of this, and doubt future votes will be held to decide issues of similar gravitas.

This is a business, the heads of the business - not the customers - should make the decisions regarding abuse of the terms and conditions.
  6. Joined
    30 Jan '04
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 16:48

Plea ...[text shortened]... he community a voice and the ability to correct our mistake of empowering this regime.

Dr. S
    I would like to make a list of the top 10 dumbest things I've read in these forums so far this thread is number 2.
  7. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 16:51
    Originally posted by dinc168
    I would like to make a list of the top 10 dumbest things I've read in these forums so far this thread is number 2.
    obvious question... what's #1?

(don't say this post)

😛
  8. Joined
    30 Jan '04
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 16:53
    Originally posted by rhb
    obvious question... what's #1?

(don't say this post)

😛
    flexmore,in debates
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 17:09
    Let's vote for Anarchy.
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 17:12
    Originally posted by dinc168
    I'll vote on that!
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 18:591 edit
    Originally posted by rhb

This is a business, the heads of the business - not the customers - should make the decisions regarding abuse of the terms and conditions.
    Alienating your customers is always a poor business decision. Without loyal customers, you have no lasting business.

The purpose of the proposed vote is not to set policy, but to inform the site administrators of the customers' desires so that they can make an informed business decision.
  12. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 19:13
    Alienating your customers is always a poor business decision. Without loyal customers, you have no lasting business.

The purpose of the proposed vote is not to set policy, but to inform the site administrators of the customers' desires so that they can make an informed business decision.
    I don't think the current actions are alienating enough customers to be of concern to the site admins.

The site admin only has to browse these forums to realise there is an almost even split amongst forum users in terms of views on this policy.

What will a vote deliver above this?
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 19:16
    Originally posted by rhb
    I don't think the current actions are alienating enough customers to be of concern to the site admins.

The site admin only has to browse these forums to realise there is an almost even split amongst forum users in terms of views on this policy.

What will a vote deliver above this?
    In the forums, only the loudest voices are heard. In a vote, everybody gets an equal voice.
  14. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 19:19
    In the forums, only the loudest voices are heard. In a vote, everybody gets an equal voice.
    Yes... and look how loud they shouted before.

http://www.timeforchess.com/vote/result.php?voteid=2

Take note of both the overwhelming result, and the low turnout.
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 19:232 edits
    Originally posted by rhb
    Yes... and look how loud they shouted before.

http://www.timeforchess.com/vote/result.php?voteid=2

Take note of both the overwhelming result, and the low turnout.
    The poll question was quite misleading. It speaks of "judging" and "guilty." The common notions of these terms are not compatible with the secret and unaccountable form the Game Mods have taken. They are meaningless and circularly defined in the current situation: you are guilty if and only if the Game Mods judge you to be so. There is no standard of judging or guilt to which the Game Mods are subservient. If the poll indicated that this would be the case, I suspect the results would be quite different.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree