1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Apr '22 18:01
    I’ve posted about this before Russ, so apologies for bringing it up again but site security may have moved on since then.

I wondered if it would be possible to (for example) post a single embedded photo in a post which would appear as maybe a sanitised bitmap.

If it’s possible to do this safely then I think it would add a richness to the forums and generate commentary and content.

What do you think?
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    11 Apr '22 09:541 edit
    I have mixed feelings about this.

Once we start hosting images (beyond profile pics) we are in new territory as a content platform. Probably not somewhere I want to go.

(Therefore it would definitely be a subscriber only feature to cut down on abuse / moderation effort anyway)

edit : re: sanitised bitmap - I have never investigated availability of AI solutions for this.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    11 Apr '22 13:32
    I personally would hate to see this happen. There are lots of other places where people can display their photography and we don't need it here.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Apr '22 12:35
    @kewpie said
    I personally would hate to see this happen. There are lots of other places where people can display their photography and we don't need it here.
    Hear hear! Before you know it we'd be bombarded with image meemees. There's no need for this place to turn into Facebook, 4chan or tumblr.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    13 Apr '22 10:553 edits
    @Shallow-Blue

I concur, also w/@Kewpie. TU from me to each of you.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    13 Apr '22 10:57
    @Russ

It's a slippery slope. Don't go there. You already backed off from animated gifs for avatars; keep it simple and focused, that's what you do best.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Apr '22 13:41
    @moonbus said
    @Russ

It's a slippery slope. Don't go there. You already backed off from animated gifs for avatars; keep it simple and focused, that's what you do best.
    Completely agreed.

Sign me up as another voice of reason.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 May '22 08:16
    @moonbus said
    @Russ

Animated avatars are still possible; same with banner images.

E.g. @Nemesio
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 May '22 08:16
    @shallow-blue said
    Hear hear! Before you know it we'd be bombarded with image meemees. There's no need for this place to turn into Facebook, 4chan or tumblr.
    Fair point.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 May '22 08:17
    @suzianne said
    Sign me up as another voice of reason.
    [blinks rapidly]
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 May '22 18:26
    @divegeester said
    Animated avatars are still possible; same with banner images.

E.g. @Nemesio
    Users who had one before the axe fell are allowed to keep them; new users not.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 May '22 07:49
    @moonbus said
    Users who had one before the axe fell are allowed to keep them; new users not.
    Seems a little discriminatory, but thanks for the clarification.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    24 May '22 07:59
    @divegeester said
    Seems a little discriminatory, but thanks for the clarification.
    It would be unfair to penalize those who had one when they were still allowed. Rule changes apply only going forward. No ex post facto law ...
  14. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    25 May '22 14:46
    @divegeester said
    I’ve posted about this before Russ, so apologies for bringing it up again but site security may have moved on since then.

I wondered if it would be possible to (for example) post a single embedded photo in a post which would appear as maybe a sanitised bitmap.

If it’s possible to do this safely then I think it would add a richness to the forums and generate commentary and content.

What do you think?
    I think it's a bad idea and I think you should stop trying to remake the forums to suit yourself.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 May '22 18:13
    @kevin-eleven said
    I think it's a bad idea and I think you should stop trying to remake the forums to suit yourself.
    They won't stop until it's done. This and thumbs.

Because, you know, control.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree