1. Dominican Republic
    Joined
    12 Nov '01
    Moves
    21886
    28 Sep '04 04:54
    It would be nice to search if a position was played in the RHP database.
  2. Cyberspace
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    12763
    28 Sep '04 12:52
    Originally posted by Boby Fisher
    It would be nice to search if a position was played in the RHP database.
    That wouldn't be fair.
  3. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Joined
    08 Apr '02
    Moves
    6943
    28 Sep '04 13:06
    Originally posted by arterioes
    That wouldn't be fair.
    why not
    (OK, enough with the attempts to make each post shorter than the one before...)

    It ould be fair - the rules of correspondance chess state that you can use books & databases. Databases are just a load of games that you can search through to find a certain position. Being able to seach through RHP games whould be using the game histories as a database.

    My guess is that having people search through the ~700,000 games played here would cause massive strain to the server, and therefore be impractical.

    Jon
  4. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Joined
    18 Jul '02
    Moves
    15683
    28 Sep '04 13:171 edit
    Originally posted by belgianfreak
    ... would cause massive strain to the server, and therefore be impractical.

    Jon
    There are techniques to minimize that load
    e.g.
    separate DB for finished games updated only once a week,
    INDEX on FEN,
    FrontEnd using JavaApplet, etc.
    to name only three of them.

    Gotti
  5. Dominican Republic
    Joined
    12 Nov '01
    Moves
    21886
    28 Sep '04 23:05
    Originally posted by belgianfreak
    why not
    (OK, enough with the attempts to make each post shorter than the one before...)

    It ould be fair - the rules of correspondance chess state that you can use books & databases. Databases are just a load of games that you can search through to find a certain position. Being able to seach through RHP games whould be using the game histories as ...[text shortened]... ames played here would cause massive strain to the server, and therefore be impractical.

    Jon
    Could be limited one search per game per day.
Back to Top