Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

1. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    02 Mar '08 15:30
    The engine use problem is driving several from the site and needs to be made the #1 issue. Anybody have an ideas!?

- Perhaps know any other chess sites that have figured out to efficiently take care of engine use?
    - If a player is banned, can he come back? If so, figure out a way to stop this. Perhaps make it so that to register, one must use an email address that is NOT gmail, yahoo, msn, etc; that way everytime somebody is banned...
  2. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    02 Mar '08 18:09
    i cannot see how engines can ever be 100% banned because:

1. clever engine users can always use them selectively at strategic points to win their important "key" games (for example, to toss a major clan match in their favor, or maybe get a tournament win)

2. idiot engine users are just idiots; who could possible take any pleasure in watching their Fritz play someone they don't know?

3. malicious engine users - those who take joy in messing up the pleasure of others - use their engines and their ratings to mess up tournaments and clans. they are readily identified and booted from RHP - after their damage is done. then they reappear with a new user name to start all over again.

Rec'd: report them, ignore them, feel sorry for them, ID suspicions in public (just post something like, "hey, check out this user's profile" in a public forum, then everyone can see their 1100 rating that zoomed to 2100 that crashed to 900 that's back on the way up)

just my 2 pence
  3. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    02 Mar '08 22:38
    something needs to be done very soon. this sites in danger of osing its integrity otherwise.
  4. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    03 Mar '08 20:20
    i don't think so, but maybe it is up around 2000+. for the rest of us, i think it's still just the best way to play chess except for moving the pieces and watching him fidget and sweat
  5. Standard member RDM
    04 Mar '08 07:59 / 1 edit
    Yeah - I think its not much of a problem down in the lower bands.

I think Sandbagging is a much worse problem down there.

Engine users are just sad really.
  6. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    05 Mar '08 01:45
    Originally posted by coquette
    i don't think so, but maybe it is up around 2000+. for the rest of us, i think it's still just the best way to play chess except for moving the pieces and watching him fidget and sweat
    I play 2000+ players very often. I'd rather have experience against a player not a computer - it affects us all!
  7. 05 Mar '08 13:15
    I've post it in another thread and thought would like to repeat here:

"If the site admins are resistent toward banning people from engine use, at least they should set up a system similar to what exists in ICC, and other places, were the caught one is marked with a 'C' (computer) sign. Obviously, tournaments, leagues, and clan challenges would be a no-no for them.

What is not acceptable for the majority of users is allowing engine users to play freely in the site."
  8. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    05 Mar '08 16:16
    Originally posted by Tatarana Crocodilo
    I've post it in another thread and thought would like to repeat here:

"If the site admins are resistent toward banning people from engine use, at least they should set up a system similar to what exists in ICC, and other places, were the caught one is marked with a 'C' (computer) sign. Obviously, tournaments, leagues, and clan challenges would ...[text shortened]... acceptable for the majority of users is allowing engine users to play freely in the site."
    maybe a graded thing, like SC (suspected computer), C (computer)?
  9. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    05 Mar '08 16:18 / 1 edit
    edited to stay out of this because i don't know anything.
  10. Standard member neonpeon41
    The Conductor
    06 Mar '08 04:18
    Is there a way to ban IP adresses and not just profiles? That way a banned player can't just make up a new email/profile and rejoin 30 minutes after being banned. I don't think there are too many cases of multiple profiles using the same machine.

Just an idea.
  11. Standard member P3ri
    Cute & Lethal
    06 Mar '08 05:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    Is there a way to ban IP adresses and not just profiles? That way a banned player can't just make up a new email/profile and rejoin 30 minutes after being banned.
    It would work if everyone had a static IP *or* the IP based bans were temporary.

Very few of us probably have/ need a static IP so if you had some bad luck you might soon notice that you are banned from the site because you happen to have the same IP temporarily as a banned user.

As a subscriber and an addict I would hate that.