1. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 15:30
    The engine use problem is driving several from the site and needs to be made the #1 issue. Anybody have an ideas!?

- Perhaps know any other chess sites that have figured out to efficiently take care of engine use?
    - If a player is banned, can he come back? If so, figure out a way to stop this. Perhaps make it so that to register, one must use an email address that is NOT gmail, yahoo, msn, etc; that way everytime somebody is banned...
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 18:09
    i cannot see how engines can ever be 100% banned because:

1. clever engine users can always use them selectively at strategic points to win their important "key" games (for example, to toss a major clan match in their favor, or maybe get a tournament win)

2. idiot engine users are just idiots; who could possible take any pleasure in watching their Fritz play someone they don't know?

3. malicious engine users - those who take joy in messing up the pleasure of others - use their engines and their ratings to mess up tournaments and clans. they are readily identified and booted from RHP - after their damage is done. then they reappear with a new user name to start all over again.

Rec'd: report them, ignore them, feel sorry for them, ID suspicions in public (just post something like, "hey, check out this user's profile" in a public forum, then everyone can see their 1100 rating that zoomed to 2100 that crashed to 900 that's back on the way up)

just my 2 pence
  3. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 22:38
    something needs to be done very soon. this sites in danger of osing its integrity otherwise.
  4. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 20:20
    i don't think so, but maybe it is up around 2000+. for the rest of us, i think it's still just the best way to play chess except for moving the pieces and watching him fidget and sweat
  5. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 07:591 edit
    Yeah - I think its not much of a problem down in the lower bands.

I think Sandbagging is a much worse problem down there.

Engine users are just sad really.
  6. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 01:45
    Originally posted by coquette
    i don't think so, but maybe it is up around 2000+. for the rest of us, i think it's still just the best way to play chess except for moving the pieces and watching him fidget and sweat
    I play 2000+ players very often. I'd rather have experience against a player not a computer - it affects us all!
  7. Joined
    12 Aug '04
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 13:15
    I've post it in another thread and thought would like to repeat here:

"If the site admins are resistent toward banning people from engine use, at least they should set up a system similar to what exists in ICC, and other places, were the caught one is marked with a 'C' (computer) sign. Obviously, tournaments, leagues, and clan challenges would be a no-no for them.

What is not acceptable for the majority of users is allowing engine users to play freely in the site."
  8. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 16:16
    Originally posted by Tatarana Crocodilo
    I've post it in another thread and thought would like to repeat here:

"If the site admins are resistent toward banning people from engine use, at least they should set up a system similar to what exists in ICC, and other places, were the caught one is marked with a 'C' (computer) sign. Obviously, tournaments, leagues, and clan challenges would ...[text shortened]... acceptable for the majority of users is allowing engine users to play freely in the site."
    maybe a graded thing, like SC (suspected computer), C (computer)?
  9. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 16:181 edit
    edited to stay out of this because i don't know anything.
  10. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 04:18
    Is there a way to ban IP adresses and not just profiles? That way a banned player can't just make up a new email/profile and rejoin 30 minutes after being banned. I don't think there are too many cases of multiple profiles using the same machine.

Just an idea.
  11. Standard memberP3ri
    Cute & Lethal
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 05:271 edit
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    Is there a way to ban IP adresses and not just profiles? That way a banned player can't just make up a new email/profile and rejoin 30 minutes after being banned.
    It would work if everyone had a static IP *or* the IP based bans were temporary.

Very few of us probably have/ need a static IP so if you had some bad luck you might soon notice that you are banned from the site because you happen to have the same IP temporarily as a banned user.

As a subscriber and an addict I would hate that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree