1. e4
    Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    25316
    27 Jul '08 03:101 edit
    Would it be possible to have a preview screen so would be posters
    can see what their post would look like before they post it.

    This would stop endless edits to correct spelling errors etc etc.

    And perhaps make some of the more unsavoury posters think
    twice before posting when they see what their foul post would look like.

    I've seen other sites that employ this system. It works.

    (would you believe it - I've spelt Forums wrong - the title should be Forums...Foruma?...dipstick)
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    27 Jul '08 03:34
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Would it be possible to have a preview screen so would be posters
    can see what their post would look like before they post it.

    This would stop endless edits to correct spelling errors etc etc.

    And perhaps make some of the more unsavoury posters think
    twice before posting when they see what their foul post would look like.

    I've seen other sites ...[text shortened]... ld you believe it - I've spelt Forums wrong - the title should be Forums...Foruma?...dipstick)
    😉
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    26450
    27 Jul '08 04:26
    As this has been requested for years by several people, myself included, it appears unlikely to be coming any time soon.

    IMO the forum style and usability seriously lets down this site, Very poor!
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Joined
    17 Apr '02
    Moves
    91690
    27 Jul '08 06:402 edits
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    [b]IMO the forum style and usability seriously lets down this site, Very poor![/b]
    Really? The simplicity here is what I love most.
    Do you want to have millions of different smilies, different text fonts and colors, signatures etc.? Those types of things drive me away from forums, as these forums are ALL about the content.

    There are some 'enhancements' I'd like to see, the preview is a nice feature, user expandable quotes that have a longer 'history' would be nice too, so that you can follow 'conversations' inside threads and proper URL handling would be nice, but that's about it...

    I use the Resizable Form Fields Firefox addon and that makes these forums much better, as I can resize the small post text field, so that's not a problem and the ouroboros GM scripts also help on the post page.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    27 Jul '08 07:56
    I think the weak part of this forum is the posters themselves. I want more dicipline. General advices to make the forums better are:

    (*) Stay on topic!
    (*) Respect eachother!
    (*) Se posters as people. Don't attack them. We discuss the views, not persons!
    (*) No flaming, no spamming!
    etc...

    The most important thing I want for a change is the possibility to correct the threads title, when you start a new one.
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Joined
    17 Apr '02
    Moves
    91690
    27 Jul '08 10:06
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I think the weak part of this forum is the posters themselves. I want more dicipline. General advices to make the forums better are:

    (*) Stay on topic!
    (*) Respect eachother!
    (*) Se posters as people. Don't attack them. We discuss the views, not persons!
    (*) No flaming, no spamming!
    etc...

    The most important thing I want for a change is the possibility to correct the threads title, when you start a new one.
    Why should I respect someone only worthy of my scorn?

    Anyway, yes, the thread title edit is something sorely needed too...
  7. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Joined
    04 Sep '04
    Moves
    245624
    27 Jul '08 11:43
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Would it be possible to have a preview screen so would be posters
    can see what their post would look like before they post it.

    This would stop endless edits to correct spelling errors etc etc.

    And perhaps make some of the more unsavoury posters think
    twice before posting when they see what their foul post would look like.

    I've seen other sites ...[text shortened]... ld you believe it - I've spelt Forums wrong - the title should be Forums...Foruma?...dipstick)
    If ewe can sea watt yew rote dose not make it write.

    Before you post you just need to read what you have typed before you hit the post button.

    I think the edit button should be done away with. That way you cannot change what you originally posted.
  8. e4
    Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    25316
    27 Jul '08 12:28
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Before you post you just need to read what you have typed before you hit the post button.
    I agree - but the previewer can sometimes work as a cooling off
    calming down medium.

    I'm sure everyone of us has posted something we have regretted.
    Seeing what nutters we would look like to rest of the world
    may make Mr.Angry re-tone his phrases.

    I know this works on other sites.

    I see this idea has been mooted before. Nothing has been done.:'(
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    27 Jul '08 21:42
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I think the weak part of this forum is the posters themselves. I want more dicipline. General advices to make the forums better are:

    (*) Stay on topic!
    (*) Respect eachother!
    (*) Se posters as people. Don't attack them. We discuss the views, not persons!
    (*) No flaming, no spamming!
    etc...

    The most important thing I want for a change is the possibility to correct the threads title, when you start a new one.
    Rec'd.
  10. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    28 Jul '08 00:37
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Before you post you just need to read what you have typed before you hit the post button.
    That doesn't help with things like certain character combinations being turned into a smiley. You can't see that until it has been posted.
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    26450
    28 Jul '08 03:37
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Really? The simplicity here is what I love most.
    Do you want to have millions of different smilies, different text fonts and colors, signatures etc.? Those types of things drive me away from forums, as these forums are ALL about the content.

    There are some 'enhancements' I'd like to see, the preview is a nice feature, user expandable quotes that have a l ...[text shortened]... field, so that's not a problem and the ouroboros GM scripts also help on the post page.
    You get used to the style here, but if like me you visit several other forums, you can easily see the differences. When I first came here everything looked so small and crammed in together.
    I use the firefox/greasemonkey scripts too but they can only do so much. These forums to me look so dated. Time for them to be upgraded in my opinion. vBulletin is the way forward methinks. 🙂

    No, I'm not interested in more smilies [though a puke one would come in handy]and signatures can normally be hidden by each user, in other forums.
    Being notified when a reply has been posted is a basic feature of practically every other forum on the internet..
    And a proper search feature is also sadly missing here.

    But I don't think many forums let you edit the title unless you are a moderator.
  12. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Joined
    13 Aug '05
    Moves
    5930
    28 Jul '08 21:00
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    No, I'm not interested in more smilies [though a puke one would come in handy]....
    Yes, very handy. Preferably an animated one.
  13. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Joined
    26 Jul '07
    Moves
    28451
    28 Jul '08 22:40
    I think the typeface is particularly unpleasant but I like how uncluttered the posts look.

    I find fora unreadable when people have comments appended to everything they say.

    I think we could do with a 'one eyebrow raised' smiley. I've often wanted that.

    I could sometimes do with a preview cooling off but I think for the vast majority of posts it would become annoying. It does immediately show you what you've written so you can edit if you want.
  14. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    26450
    28 Jul '08 22:57
    Originally posted by Lukerik

    I find fora unreadable when people have comments appended to everything they say.
    How do you mean?
  15. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Joined
    26 Jul '07
    Moves
    28451
    29 Jul '08 09:24
    In some people can have a whopping great big pre-set comment that appears under everything they say. Like a massively overgrown version of our comment/location on the left.
Back to Top