Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 20 Aug '06 14:48
    I find it curious that while you're banned in the public forums, you can't post in the private. May be a technical issue, but if not: why not allow banned people to still participate in their private forums?

    I mean, the ban is after all relating to behaviour in the public forums. There are no such rules in the private ones (unless the leader wants to kick out those who doesn't follow his/her rules which is another matter entirely).
  2. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    20 Aug '06 14:50
    Originally posted by stocken
    I find it curious that while you're banned in the public forums, you can't post in the private. May be a technical issue, but if not: why not allow banned people to still participate in their private forums?

    I mean, the ban is after all relating to behaviour in the public forums. There are no such rules in the private ones (unless the leader wants to kick out those who doesn't follow his/her rules which is another matter entirely).
    Being banned is a punishment, therefore it applies to all forums.

    Otherwise it would be like saying "stocken, you've been a bad boy so you can't have any dinner, but your welcome to help yourself to the lovely chocolate pudding dessert".
  3. 20 Aug '06 14:56
    Originally posted by Freddie2006
    Being banned is a punishment, therefore it applies to all forums.

    Otherwise it would be like saying "stocken, you've been a bad boy so you can't have any dinner, but your welcome to help yourself to the lovely chocolate pudding dessert".
    I disagree (of course). If the ban was a punishment as such it would hinder me from using this site at all. The ban is supposed to deter you from breaking the rules in the public forums. Since no such rules apply in the private I don't see it as a problem if you could still participate there while being banned from the public.
  4. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    20 Aug '06 15:05
    Originally posted by stocken
    I disagree (of course). If the ban was a punishment as such it would hinder me from using this site at all. The ban is supposed to deter you from breaking the rules in the public forums. Since no such rules apply in the private I don't see it as a problem if you could still participate there while being banned from the public.
    People who break forum rules are banned from the forums. Private forums are one type of forum on this site and people are therefore banned from them as well.

    IMO, the reason this who kerfuffle has come about is becuase people do not seem to realise that there is not a legal set of rules here, anything for Russ and Chris to abide by. They may do as they please as it is their site, and if they feel it necessary to ban people for things which may, in our eyes, seem trivial, then so be it. They delegate this job to 5 or 6 people on this site who they trust to make correct and reasonable decisions. Of course this cannot be expected 100% of the time as everyone makes mistakes.

    Sometimes I disagree with decisions the mods make, and I think everyone does at one point of another, but always about the same thing. And this is the crux of the matter; the mods cannot please everyone. What may seem objectionable to one person is not to another. The mods have a very difficult job trying to find the right line through all of this and I think they have a very difficult job. Give them a break and realise that forum moderation will never be totally perfect, so we just have to live with the imperfections.

    If you have a problem with any of the moderation, instead of telling your clan members to start a lynching thread in the forums, just quietly message the mods and see what they have to say. You and I both know full well that there is no way the mods are going to ban you just becuase they don't like you or they feel like it. There will always be a reason. It is best for you to just find out what that reason is and then, if you feel that it is unfair, discuss it with them and if that does not work, take it up with Russ. This does work as I have done it before. The mods are not unreasonable, they are just trying to do a difficult job.
  5. 20 Aug '06 15:16
    Originally posted by Freddie2006
    There will always be a reason. It is best for you to just find out what that reason is and then, if you feel that it is unfair, discuss it with them and if that does not work, take it up with Russ. This does work as I have done it before. The mods are not unreasonable, they are just trying to do a difficult job.
    If you did it before, you were lucky. Maybe non-subscribers get different treatment if that is the case - When I tried, I was told the admin don't get involved in moderation of the forums blah blah. And no mod would answer my pms.
  6. 20 Aug '06 15:40
    Originally posted by Freddie2006
    lovely chocolate pudding dessert
    That's a great name for a clan.
  7. 20 Aug '06 15:54
    Originally posted by Freddie2006
    If you have a problem with any of the moderation, instead of telling your clan members to start a lynching thread in the forums, just quietly message the mods and see what they have to say.
    Have you been reading anything? Have I ever expressed that your posts stink of major buttkissing? Stocken didn't whine about the ban, or send a "lynchmob" out. Two of our members vocalized confusion, and disapproval of the undeserved ban.

    Stocken, you pose a good question. I'll be curious to hear an answer from someone who actually runs this place.
  8. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    20 Aug '06 16:25
    Originally posted by SJ247
    Have you been reading anything? Have I ever expressed that your posts stink of major buttkissing? Stocken didn't whine about the ban, or send a "lynchmob" out. Two of our members vocalized confusion, and disapproval of the undeserved ban.

    Stocken, you pose a good question. I'll be curious to hear an answer from someone who actually runs this place.
    I didn't suggest he did whine about the ban, I suggested that instead of you creating a thread in general about it, it would have been much more easily dealt with if Stocken had gone straight to the mods. People should also take the time to realise that BF and Phlab, the only mods with a voice AFAIK, are not online 24/7 and so arn't going to reply to your problem immediatly.

    The ban was clearly not completly undeserved. As I said before, posts don't just get removed becuase the mods feel like it or becuase they don't like the user, but because the post has been alerted n number of times or because, in their opinion, it is unnecessarily rude, abusive or whatever. That is the mods decision to make. not anyone elses. I'm sure Russ and Chris trust their judgement, otherwise they wouldn't have been put in their position in the first place. I didn't see the banned post, but I find it very hard to believe that one of the mods suddenly thought "oooh, I'll hate on stocken today and delete a post that has nothing wrong with it".

    When will you learn that sometimes you just have to live with the decisions made, and that they are not always going to go in your favour. Life isn't fair, deal with it.
  9. 20 Aug '06 17:01
    Originally posted by Freddie2006
    I didn't suggest he did whine about the ban, I suggested that instead of you creating a thread in general about it, it would have been much more easily dealt with if Stocken had gone straight to the mods. People should also take the time to realise that BF and Phlab, the only mods with a voice AFAIK, are not online 24/7 and so arn't going to reply to you ...[text shortened]... d that they are not always going to go in your favour. Life isn't fair, deal with it.
    Where are the other 4 mods? If they don't do anything they should be replaced - there's plenty of sensible subs around who could do it.


    As for "going straight to the mods" - as I said already, don't hold your breath waiting for a reply.
  10. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    20 Aug '06 17:15
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Where are the other 4 mods? If they don't do anything they should be replaced - there's plenty of sensible subs around who could do it.


    As for "going straight to the mods" - as I said already, don't hold your breath waiting for a reply.
    The other 4 mods do their job, but they may just want to remain out of the limelight doing their thing. We all see how much crap Phlab and BF get for trying to reason with people in the forums over bans and such, perhaps rhymemaster, Flash, TONY, and timmytoilet don't want that kinda trash to deal with.
  11. 20 Aug '06 23:49
    Originally posted by Freddie2006
    The other 4 mods do their job, but they may just want to remain out of the limelight doing their thing. We all see how much crap Phlab and BF get for trying to reason with people in the forums over bans and such, perhaps rhymemaster, Flash, TONY, and timmytoilet don't want that kinda trash to deal with.
    Well when I was [IMO] unjustly banned I sent a message asking for the reason and for which post - to 3 mods and the admin. The admin said it was nothing to do with them [or words to that effect] and 2 of the mods didn't reply, the one who did answer [with a three word sentence] did so after the ban had ended. This was months ago and I still haven't been told why and which post - though I have a rough idea due to feedback from other members and through whining in the forum.
    As a non-sub, I don't expect it was worth them bothering about.
  12. 21 Aug '06 09:09 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Well when I was [IMO] unjustly banned I sent a message asking for the reason and for which post - to 3 mods and the admin. The admin said it was nothing to do with them [or words to that effect] and 2 of the mods didn't reply, the one who did answer [with a three word sentence] did so after the ban had ended. This was months ago and I still haven't b ...[text shortened]... whining in the forum.
    As a non-sub, I don't expect it was worth them bothering about.
    You know what works? If you start a thread in the general demanding answers. I'll back you all the way, you know.

    That should have them realise the importance of explaining themselves. Of course, you're just a lowlife freeloader so you can't really expect much from the team that runs this site. Buy a subscription and then demand your rights.

    Edit: This post is sarcastic in nature and should therefore not be taken literally. It is not an attempt to cause trouble in the forums and I'll strongly disagree with anyone who writes so.
  13. 21 Aug '06 11:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by stocken
    You know what works? If you start a thread in the general demanding answers. I'll back you all the way, you know.

    That should have them realise the importance of explaining themselves. Of course, you're just a lowlife freeloader so you can't really expect much from the team that runs this site. Buy a subscription and then demand your rights.

    Ed ...[text shortened]... empt to cause trouble in the forums and I'll strongly disagree with anyone who writes so.
    I did try that at the time - well when I was allowed to return. Didn't work - like you say, being a scumbag doesn't help.
  14. Subscriber cashthetrash
    PoPeYe
    22 Aug '06 04:54
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I did try that at the time - well when I was allowed to return. Didn't work - like you say, being a scumbag doesn't help.
    Just because you are a non subscriber doesn't mean you need to be a scumbag about it. Seriously though. I think over all even though it kind of stings to be banned. And it would be nice to have more communication. As a non subscriber I think I have been treated pretty good. I know there have been a couple of times I have crossed a line or two and nothing at all happened to me so really I feel like things are pretty fair most the time. I mean I couldn't and wouldn't want to do their job. I am not trying to kiss but either because the reality is I haven't contributed a nickle. And I wish I could. Because I really do like it here.
  15. 22 Aug '06 12:56
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    Just because you are a non subscriber doesn't mean you need to be a scumbag about it. Seriously though. I think over all even though it kind of stings to be banned. And it would be nice to have more communication. As a non subscriber I think I have been treated pretty good. I know there have been a couple of times I have crossed a line or two and nothin ...[text shortened]... ity is I haven't contributed a nickle. And I wish I could. Because I really do like it here.
    Did anyone tell you the supposed reason you were banned? Did you get a warning - I'm guessing no to both questions.