Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

1. 30 Jan '06 13:01
    When quoting previous posts, it would be nice if we could also include previous posts quoted in that quote also. This could maybe build up to a maximum of 4 or 5 quotes. This would enable:

a) Stop people having to go searching through a thread when someone has quoted something from a few pages before, especially if a thread has moved quickly overnight when you were asleep.
    b) Stop ambiguity to what a collection of posts were reffering to.

If this has been suggested before, I apologise for the repetition.
  2. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    30 Jan '06 13:58
    Nested quotes are annoying.

What I would like though is the ability to quote more than one post at a time. Or perhaps split a single post into multiple quotes so each part can be addressed. Currently I do this manually by bolding the quoted sections and replying between them but it's messy and a little annoying (especially when you mess up the tags).
  3. 30 Jan '06 14:07
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Nested quotes are annoying.

What I would like though is the ability to quote more than one post at a time. Or perhaps split a single post into multiple quotes so each part can be addressed. Currently I do this manually by bolding the quoted sections and replying between them but it's messy and a little annoying (especially when you mess up the tags).
    I understand that a mass of nested quotes could be annoying, which is why i think a limit should be applied, even if a small one. This would help distinguishwhat a quote was referring to.
  4. 31 Jan '06 07:32
    Agreed, more functionality is desperately needed for the forums.
  5. 31 Jan '06 08:44
    Originally posted by welsharnie
    When quoting previous posts, it would be nice if we could also include previous posts quoted in that quote also. This could maybe build up to a maximum of 4 or 5 quotes. This would enable:

a) Stop people having to go searching through a thread when someone has quoted something from a few pages before, especially if a thread has moved quickly overnight ...[text shortened]... f posts were reffering to.

If this has been suggested before, I apologise for the repetition.
    You do realize, that despite the popularity of the forums, this is first and foremost a correspondance chess site?

Having said that, wouldn't it be nice (if Russ can find the time) to have a link back to the quoted post? That way, if I read a post and I'd like to see the post which is quoted, I click the internal link that shall then take me to that particular post. I can backstep all the way to the original post and then use the browser history buttons to step back through that line of discussion within the thread.

But, like I said, the forums are secondary and should be treated as such (in my opinion).
  6. 31 Jan '06 12:59
    Originally posted by stocken
    You do realize, that despite the popularity of the forums, this is first and foremost a correspondance chess site?

Having said that, wouldn't it be nice (if Russ can find the time) to have a link back to the quoted post? That way, if I read a post and I'd like to see the post which is quoted, I click the internal link that shall then take me ...[text shortened]... t, like I said, the forums are secondary and should be treated as such (in my opinion).
    Of course, but there was no harm in suggesting.
  7. 31 Jan '06 13:08
    Originally posted by welsharnie
    Of course, but there was no harm in suggesting.
    Quite right.
  8. Standard member Chakan
    Oro!
    31 Jan '06 13:11
    Originally posted by stocken
    Lies and Filth!!! Lies and Filth!!!