1. Guanajuato, Mexico
    Moves
    25 Aug '07 10:03
    In thread Thread 75466 we have been discussing the issue of ranking statistics. Some of us have indicated that it would be nice to be able to see where we sit on a bell curve (or some other distribution graph) of overall rankings. What do you think?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Aug '07 10:29
    I do like this:
    I go to "Players Table" and click "Find Me". Now I find myself at the page 71. Then I do the same for a member with rating 1200. The ratio between this and that describes my relative position in the rating distribution in RHP.

Works for me, but don't give much information though. I have no or little interest to se graphically where in a Bell curve I reside.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Aug '07 19:08
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I do like this:
    I go to "Players Table" and click "Find Me". Now I find myself at the page 71. Then I do the same for a member with rating 1200. The ratio between this and that describes my relative position in the rating distribution in RHP.

Works for me, but don't give much information though. I have no or little interest to se graphically where in a Bell curve I reside.
    hey your good in mathmatics, right now the only way to see where you are at is to use the number the site gives you, and the number of players on the site, but this is not an accurate graph as the ranking distributed to you does not take into consideration the number of people tied, I have a feeling this would be a significant difference am I correct?
  4. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    25 Aug '07 20:38
    Originally posted by rogers4
    In thread Thread 75466 we have been discussing the issue of ranking statistics. Some of us have indicated that it would be nice to be able to see where we sit on a bell curve (or some other distribution graph) of overall rankings. What do you think?
    You can already see how you compare to others.
  5. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    25 Aug '07 21:58
    I agree. It would be interesting to see a graph where the ratings were divided into buckets of 50 or 100 points, and you could see how many players were in each bucket.

It would also be very simple to implement in terms of querying the database (a simple "select count(*) where rating >= low_rating and rating < high_rating"; run it once a day). Maybe a little trickier to figure out how to display the graph, although it could be done similarly to the ratings graphs in the player profile.
  6. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    25 Aug '07 23:47
    Put this idea in "very low" priority. Wouldn't you rather there be conditional moves or something than knowing how many 1800 players there are?
  7. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 01:00
    Well, this is the "Site Ideas" forum. All kinds of possible ideas should be discussed here, not just the ones that are absolute #1 priority. I don't really get why there's such a kneejerk tendency to shoot down everything that's mentioned.

Also, this would be vastly easier to implement than something like conditional moves.
  8. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 01:18
    Originally posted by incandenza
    Well, this is the "Site Ideas" forum. All kinds of possible ideas should be discussed here, not just the ones that are absolute #1 priority. I don't really get why there's such a kneejerk tendency to shoot down everything that's mentioned.

Also, this would be vastly easier to implement than something like conditional moves.
    Ironic. You were actually the only one to "shoot down" my idea Thread 74768

What, do you have a grudge against me 😉

I'm not "shooting down" anything, and neither were you in my idea. I'm stating my opinion how it is. That's how I talk. Straight to the point!
  9. Joined
    05 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 03:53
    I agree with the idea of having a distribution curve. It would be interesting to see where the majority of players lie etc.

It would also be good to see the mean rating and standard deviation for ratings. Then we would be able to see if the mean rating is increasing or decreseing as more players join.

Does inflation occur in ratings?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree