1. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    17 Nov '13 13:10
    You don't get to choose your color in chess tournaments over the board. I suggest that rated games should force a "random color" on the person creating the game, and the person accepting should not know that color until the game has been accepted.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Nov '13 21:30
    Some of us like to play repeated games against the same opponent, and choose the colours opposite to that played in the last game, for fairness. How would your proposal deal with this?
  3. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    17 Nov '13 22:25
    Maybe only for posting an "open game." That would preserve your right to challenge a specific friend normally.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 00:56
    Originally posted by dpressnell
    You don't get to choose your color in chess tournaments over the board. I suggest that rated games should force a "random color" on the person creating the game, and the person accepting should not know that color until the game has been accepted.
    This isn't an over-the-board tourney. I like to set up a bunch of open invites and make half white and half black, and your suggestion would ruin that for me.

In general, I don't like suggestions that take options away from the users.

Voted down.
  5. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 01:44
    That's what I do too (set half as white and half as black). The ones that are set as black get chosen first by others 🙂 leaving me with a preponderance of white, and I wonder if some people think I'm just a "white hog" when that happens.

I guess it's a matter of preference. I would like to just select "random color" myself every time, but I think the color is chosen when I create the open invite, and then it looks like just another game with a color I chose. Like I said, I think that's what happens. I could be wrong and others may see it differently since it's my game, but I'm not sure. (That is, others see a button that says "play as white" or "play as black." I don't think I've ever seen a button in the open invites list that says "play as random color."😉
  6. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 01:46
    Wow.. Quotation marks followed by closing parenthesis is shown as a wink...

Not what I intended.
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 04:15
    I don't know why " ) should come out as a wink, because , ) is how a wink is normally made here, but I've been caught on it too (and other accidental smileys where I least expected them). Nowadays I add a space if I'm doing any two symbols in sequence, just to be on the safe side.
  8. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    19 Nov '13 23:28
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    This isn't an over-the-board tourney. I like to set up a bunch of open invites and make half white and half black, and your suggestion would ruin that for me.

In general, I don't like suggestions that take options away from the users.

Voted down.
    If the colours were truly random, then half would be White and half would be Black unless you are aware of another possibility, like green?
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '13 00:28
    Originally posted by finnegan
    If the colours were truly random, then half would be White and half would be Black unless you are aware of another possibility, like green?
    Random choice doesn't have memories... they could be 50% white and 50% black or it could be 73% white and 27% black.

The point is, why take the freedom of choice away from people?
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Nov '13 02:401 edit
    Originally posted by finnegan
    If the colors were truly random, I could get spurts of 10 blacks in a row, for all I know.

Plus, what Trev said. If I want to try out a Fried Liver Attack against a guy who swears he knows how to defend it, I have to be white.
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 12:42
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    If the colors were truly random, I could get spurts of 10 blacks in a row, for all I know.

Plus, what Trev said. If I want to try out a Fried Liver Attack against a guy who swears he knows how to defend it, I have to be white.
    For this I would suggest a set-game.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 21:21
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    For this I would suggest a set-game.
    Way ahead of you. 🙂

Game 10271881
  13. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    23 Dec '13 17:00
    The challenger should always be black in at least one game imo.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree