1. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 20:17
    This topic is virulent again. Even though the new calculation of the TER is far better than the original, especially tournaments with low rating are regularly haunted by players who have no business being there and knowing it.

So please set a permanent rating floor at about 100 points below the highest rating achieved.

FYI I know that this has been posted on this forum frequently, but I can't revive the thread in which Swiss Gambit made the points very clear.
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 23:53
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    This topic is virulent again. Even though the new calculation of the TER is far better than the original, especially tournaments with low rating are regularly haunted by players who have no business being there and knowing it.

So please set a permanent rating floor at about 100 points below the highest rating achieved.

FYI I know that this has been ...[text shortened]... rum frequently, but I can't revive the thread in which Swiss Gambit made the points very clear.
    As the TER is based on a minimum of 100 points below your 1 year high someone has to be out of the loop for a long time to begin to enter tournaments well below their ability.

I don't think a Ratings Floor will make too much difference, based on the current calculation.

For instance, my highest ever rating is 1523 which would give me a floor of 1423.

My current TER is 1403. For the last 90 days my rating has swung between 1192 and a high of 1424.

Anyone with a rising rating will have a higher TER as this will rise every time they win.

Anyone with a rapidly falling rating will have the higher TER for a whole year after their high, and would need to stay at the lower rating/not play for a year after their high to benefit from entering the lower rated tournaments.

The easiest way round this is just to make your TER 100 points less than your highest ever obtained rating on the site.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 18:40

FYI I know that this has been ...[text shortened]... rum frequently, but I can't revive the thread in which Swiss Gambit made the points very clear.
    Can you provide some examples? [tourney numbers, etc.]
  4. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 20:232 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Can you provide some examples? [tourney numbers, etc.]
    Tournament 10486
    Tournament 10470

The winning guy entered a lot of banded up to 1150 (not all finished) and won at least two. Had been a 1500+ and is there again.

he also is entered at the pending Sicilian Alapin 0-1150.

There is a lso a guy having been in the 2000's and now plaing at 1300 which looks quite strange to me.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Dec '10 01:26
    Tournament 10486
    Tournament 10470

The winning guy entered a lot of banded up to 1150 (not all finished) and won at least two. Had been a 1500+ and is there again.

he also is entered at the pending Sicilian Alapin 0-1150.

There is a lso a guy having been in the 2000's and now plaing at 1300 which looks quite strange to me.
    Yeah, this guy should have had a rating floor of 1400 ever since he established that he was capable of playing consistently as a 1500 player [~3 years ago roughly].
  6. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    01 Dec '10 15:551 edit
    Next example: Tournament 10708 group 1, the leading guy has had 1700+ ratings ago and has a history of winning very low rated tournaments

same guy in Tournament 10635
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Dec '10 19:411 edit
    Next example: Tournament 10708 group 1, the leading guy has had 1700+ ratings ago and has a history of winning very low rated tournaments

same guy in Tournament 10635
    Ahh, the infamous RussellR is back! 😀

This is proof positive that the TER is a "band-aid" type fix at best.

Not only does it fail to stop the very thing it is intended to stop, but there are the usual other drawbacks:

- Underrated players can enter high-band tourneys
    - Does nothing to stop other forms of sandbagging [clans, etc.]
    - A player who goes on a temporary 'hot streak' may end up with too high a TER
  8. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    01 Dec '10 21:35

Not only does it fail to stop the very thing it is intended to stop, but there are the usual other drawbacks:

RussellR is in fact a sandbagging turd.
  9. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 01:52

If the TER was based on your highest ever score minus 100 points, rather than how it is calculated at present, it would solve everything for tournaments. People leaving the site and and returning at much lower levels, like RussellR, would be unable ot screw up tournaments for the genuine lower ranked players.

Maybe for Clan games you could have a CCR (Clan Challenge Rating) being say 150/200 points below your highest ever rating and could only challenge people at that level or above.

It would mean much fairer challenges all round, as it would stop all the dodgy dealings with sandbaggers.

Lopsided challenges could still be initiated, but they have to be initiated by the lower ranked players team captain.

So if Clan A's 1600 rated player wanted to play Clan B's 1900 rated player then the challenge could be offered, however Clan B could not initiate the challenge with Clan A.
  10. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 14:56
    Next example User 209147 entered Tournament 10438 Alapin rated 0-1150 as a fromer 1700+ player.

There are more exam,ples but I think we have enough to show as SmissGambit put it, that the TER is nothing more than a band aid.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree