1. Quad Cities, IL
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 04:06
    Where do 1200 players (like myself) get off setting limits to their challenge for only players rated above 2000? Why would such a player accept this challenge? If my understanding of the rating system is correct, even if they win, their rating will go down.

I think subscribers should be able to set rating limits, but non-subscribers (like myself) should not be able to set the minium rating of open invites to 400 points higher than their current rating.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 05:32
    Originally posted by UncleRobb
    Where do 1200 players (like myself) get off setting limits to their challenge for only players rated above 2000? Why would such a player accept this challenge? If my understanding of the rating system is correct, even if they win, their rating will go down.

I think subscribers should be able to set rating limits, but non-subscribers (like myself) sho ...[text shortened]... be able to set the minium rating of open invites to 400 points higher than their current rating.
    Do you think it would be fair if non-subscribers couldn't play people at the rating they preferred?
    Also, I don't think a person [other than provisional] loses rating points if they win, regardless of their opponents rating. I think they just wouldn't gain anything for a win though.

I do agree with you that it's stupid to do that.
  3. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 06:571 edit
    Originally posted by UncleRobb
    If my understanding of the rating system is correct, even if they win, their rating will go down.

If a high-rated player wins against a much lower-rated player, he gains nothing.
    If a low-rated player loses against a much higher-rated player, he loses nothing.
    However, if a higher rated player loses or draws, he loses lots of points, and if a lower rated player wins or draws, he gains lots of points.

EG:

Whiskeyjack (932) win= +32; loss = +0; draw = +16;
    mtthw (1910) win = +0; loss = -32; draw = -16.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 07:57
    I think a win should always gain at least one rating point, regardless of rating differences.
    And in the same spirit - a loss should always decrease at least one one rating point, regardless of rating differences.

Why?
    Else there is no point at all for the better player even to consider to play with a far more inexperienced player.

This is my humble opinion.
  5. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 15:09
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I think a win should always gain at least one rating point, regardless of rating differences.
    And in the same spirit - a loss should always decrease at least one one rating point, regardless of rating differences.

Why?
    Else there is no point at all for the better player even to consider to play with a far more inexperienced player.

Some of the better players are also humble enough to encourage, teach and talk to us unhumble losers.

They sometimes get their rocks off in strange ways...
  6. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 15:23
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

Why?

Creating a possiblity only of failure for the highly rated player must add a bit of a zing into the game and make them sharpen up their skills. Its good for both players and even the best can falter.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree