1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Aug '05 13:15
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/vote/result.php?voteid=7

I would like to consider this matter settled for now. We can revisit it in the future if there is good reason to.

-Russ
  2. Earth Prime
    Moves
    25 Aug '05 19:191 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/vote/result.php?voteid=7

I would like to consider this matter settled for now. We can revisit it in the future if there is good reason to.

-Russ
    Two parents had a house full of kids. They'd been quite busy over the years and birthed 10 more lives into the world. Their house had to be run like a mini-camp, so everything would be orderly. The father had a well-paying job, and the mother spent the day with the children. They were in no finacial trouble, but the parents insisted on making the kids Raman noodles for lunch, potato for supper. Every single day.

Many months of complaining about the current feeding system, and even offering specific ideas, such as meals with protein and perhaps dessert once in a while finally forced the parent's to "give in."

They passed out the voting ballots, the choices: Switch to soup for lunch and cabbage for supper, or keep things the same. Forced to choose, everyone chose to keep the noodles and potato. Content, the parents called the issue closed, and wouldn't hear it anymore. Jury selection begins next month.

this is fictional
  3. Berks.
    Moves
    25 Aug '05 19:471 edit
    What about Australian votes on the monarchy?
  4. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    25 Aug '05 22:15
    Originally posted by Coconut
    Two parents had a house full of kids. They'd been quite busy over the years and birthed 10 more lives into the world. Their house had to be run like a mini-camp, so everything would be orderly. The father had a well-paying job, and the mother spent the day with the children. They were in no finacial trouble, but the parents insisted on making the kids Raman ...[text shortened]... , and wouldn't hear it anymore. Jury selection begins next month.

this is fictional
    We lived our lives for thousands of years without the need for a card, or number to identify ourselves.

The government which has been busy brandishing fear politics for 4 years, tries to persuade us we would be safer if they knew every biometric detail on us. The mass pool of data, could save the nation from attack.

Then we are attacked by people who had never committed a crime and were born in this country. Suddenly the new big idea isn't looking quite so clever so it is delicately put onto the back burner - it should never resurface now such sound arguements have been put up against it. The status quo shall remain.
  5. Earth Prime
    Moves
    25 Aug '05 23:02
    Originally posted by invigorate
    We lived our lives for thousands of years without the need for a card, or number to identify ourselves.

The government which has been busy brandishing fear politics for 4 years, tries to persuade us we would be safer if they knew every biometric detail on us. The mass pool of data, could save the nation from attack.

Then we are attacked by people w ...[text shortened]... er resurface now such sound arguements have been put up against it. The status quo shall remain.
    sorry I don't get your point.

Mine was that there ARE better options. I have little problem with the current rating system, it just irks me that Russ ignores the specific other suggestions and calls the issue "closed" when the current system wins over an obviously flawed one.
  6. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    25 Aug '05 23:211 edit
    My point was that whilst they maybe problems with the current system it is better than any new radical proposal. When arguements such as Gatecrasher's and David Tebb's are put we begin realise that the current system is not so bad.
  7. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    26 Aug '05 07:48
    But the vote only had two options. Change it or remain the same. The idea of improving on the current system was not offered.

It's more like a social security issue.
  8. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    26 Aug '05 15:09
    My argument wasn't really a defense of the current system, but a refutation of the proposed alternative.

The biggest problem with the rating system is not the calculation itself, but the effect of mass-resignations and timeouts, insofar as certain strong players have artificially low ratings. It would have been nice to have had the option to vote for a ratings floor (ie some percentage of a player's maximum rating), which could be then be used both for tournament entry requirements and for rating updates.