1. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 05:39
    I think that a setting should be available to automatically claim time out wins.

You wouldn't have to take them, or set them. They could even be an option for each game!

If you look at my public games, you will see two games where my opponent has his time gone. I am giving him extra time because he had a good reason and politely let me know his situation. No problem.

If you are like me, then you are probably fed up with all of the so called players who sit on losing positions waiting for their time to expire, sometimes including a 28 game time bank, and may make a move once every week or two just dragging it out. What are they doing? I bet they are hoping that you get distracted and can't log in sometime to make a move so that they can claim the win.

If you had an automatic time out claim, it would do two things:
    1. let your opponent know that you will be taking the win if time expires;
    2. make the win fair . . . .some people can't log in all that often or so easily. The lag for timing in is an unfair advantage to those who have always-on connections and unlimited access.

Just another bad thought from me. Go ahead, I'm ready for the flaming blasts!
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 11:311 edit
    Originally posted by coquette
    I think that a setting should be available to automatically claim time out wins.

You wouldn't have to take them, or set them. They could even be an option for each game!

If you look at my public games, you will see two games where my opponent has his time gone. I am giving him extra time because he had a good reason and politely let me know his situat ted access.

I would like auto-timeouts too - maybe as a game by game option, like you say. One thing I wonder is, why do you play games with very long timebanks if you don't like waiting that long. [28 days you mention]
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 11:45
    I don't have problems with people dragging their moves. Why? I can always start new games, there will always be games for me to respond to.

But...

If I were a non subscriber, this situation would be akward. Having only six games to fiddle with, and half of them dragging their moves. And me, nothing to do, more than an occational move now and then.

This is one reason to subscribe.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 13:191 edit

If you look at my public games, you will see two games where my opponent has his time gone. I am giving him extra time because he had a good reason and politely let me know his situat ted access.

The only way I would want this is if you can use this rule for individual games. Not a blanket setting for all games.

I'm playing some users who do NOT time me out. I don't time them out either.

Next I have a game with INSTANT Time Outs? I don't want to change my settings for all games just because one user has set their game for auto time outs.

So if it is a blanket setting for all games, I say NO.

This should be a setting at the start of a game also, I don't want someone changing their mind about this setting once I get a pawn down in the middle game.

P-
  5. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 14:57
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    The only way I would want this is if you can use this rule for individual games. Not a blanket setting for all games.

I'm playing some users who do NOT time me out. I don't time them out either.

Next I have a game with INSTANT Time Outs? I don't want to change my settings for all games just because one user has set their game for auto time outs.
    ...[text shortened]... eone changing their mind about this setting once I get a pawn down in the middle game.

P-
    i agree with you on every point.
  6. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 15:00
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I would like auto-timeouts too - maybe as a game by game option, like you say. One thing I wonder is, why do you play games with very long timebanks if you don't like waiting that long. [28 days you mention]
    i am fairly new to RHP, so i accepted a lot of games just because i like to play. i didn't realize that players will sit on a mate-and-lose position for as long as possible, even while they are making moves in other games against me. so, to answer you directly, sure, i have the choice to only play games with shorter time banks. still, i don't see any harm in a setting on a game-by-game basis for "automatically loses when time expires"
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 14:35
    i am fairly new to RHP, so i accepted a lot of games just because i like to play. i didn't realize that players will sit on a mate-and-lose position for as long as possible, even while they are making moves in other games against me. so, to answer you directly, sure, i have the choice to only play games with shorter time banks. still, i don't see any harm in a setting on a game-by-game basis for "automatically loses when time expires"
    You know the sad part about people who drag a lost game? Take 10 games as an example. 5 won games, and 5 lost games. Do the math, or find a ratings calculator.

Your rating will be a few points higher if you finish your lost games first, and play out your won games! Get the lost games finished as quick as you can, and hope to win the next games you are playing. If you save up your lost games as your rating gets inflated, you actually lose more points when you finally either get mated or get timed out.

If you had just lost them right away, rather than drag them out... you wouldn't lose as many points for these lost games.

P-
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 16:25
    If I can reach my all-time-high rating I can avoid losing the already lost games and hope to win the already won games.
    If I am quite near my all-time-hig, then dragging certain games can be the strategy to reach that goal.

But is rating really so important? Yes, sometimes it really is.
  9. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 19:08
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    You know the sad part about people who drag a lost game? Take 10 games as an example. 5 won games, and 5 lost games. Do the math, or find a ratings calculator.

Your rating will be a few points higher if you finish your lost games first, and play out your won games! Get the lost games finished as quick as you can, and hope to win the next games you a ...[text shortened]... way, rather than drag them out... you wouldn't lose as many points for these lost games.

P-
    you got it right!
  10. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 19:11
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If I can reach my all-time-high rating I can avoid losing the already lost games and hope to win the already won games.
    If I am quite near my all-time-hig, then dragging certain games can be the strategy to reach that goal.

But is rating really so important? Yes, sometimes it really is.
    i actually don't mind this type of play, but do you sit on a move-and-get-mated-next-move position waiting for a 28-day time bank to expire while you continue to struggle in other games to add a couple of points to your rating? if so, then you have just deluded yourself about your rating strength and you will have the pleasure of watching those points evaporate like a balloon popping. it's all okay with me, but i am only saying that i shouldn't have to WATCH the game for the skull to appear. Simply click the option to let the other player know that you will be taking the time out win automatically and forget about the game and watching for the skull for a month. Any problem with that?
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 19:54
    i actually don't mind this type of play, but do you sit on a move-and-get-mated-next-move position waiting for a 28-day time bank to expire while you continue to struggle in other games to add a couple of points to your rating? if so, then you have just deluded yourself about your rating strength and you will have the pleasure of watching those points evapo ...[text shortened]... ally and forget about the game and watching for the skull for a month. Any problem with that?
    First of all, it is not very often I get the chance to get a all-time-high rating. But it happens sometimes.

Secondly, in my profile everyone can read that I always take skulls when I can. It's not entirely true. If my opponent ask me not to and give a plausible reason, I don't. I don't collect them as trophies. But it's within the rules to time people out, those who don't care about their thinking times, it's my right to do so.

Thirdly, my opponents sometimes drag their games with a minimal margin of time, my opponent sometimes play their games from a losing position to the bitter mating end maybe 30 moves later - and noone hears me ever complain. As long they are doing it within the rules of RHP. I have no problem with that, none whatsoever.

Your proposal sounds fair to me - if - the way it is today is the default option of the games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree