1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 20:36
    Someone to zero the recs of insults and useless posts when they reach either page 1 or 2 of the recommended page.

This would mean that the rec system could be used to show interesting posts, and the insults can still be rec'd, keeping in spirit with the rec system, but kept off the front page of the recommended section without deleting them altogether (whether or not to delete them is another days work).

Whadya think ?
  2. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 21:00
    Why are there rec's?...when you read them, you don't really understand them because they are random bits of random conversations...🙄
  3. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 21:38
    Originally posted by Ramned
    Why are there rec's?...when you read them, you don't really understand them because they are random bits of random conversations...🙄
    are you just jealous that you have no recs?
    i myself have 3.. wow
    wowee
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 01:34
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Someone to zero the recs of insults and useless posts when they reach either page 1 or 2 of the recommended page.

This would mean that the rec system could be used to show interesting posts, and the insults can still be rec'd, keeping in spirit with the rec system, but kept off the front page of the recommended section without deleting them altogether (whether or not to delete them is another days work).

Whadya think ?
    Good idea - +1NSR
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 17:21

Whadya think ?
    This goes against the spirit of the rec system.

Why shouldn't insults top the rec chart? Controversy sells. People love to watch a good fight.

Your standards of moderation are too subjective. What is an "interesting" post? What's a "useless" post? The answer will change radically depending who you ask.
  6. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 18:16
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    This goes against the spirit of the rec system.

Why shouldn't insults top the rec chart? Controversy sells. People love to watch a good fight.

Your standards of moderation are too subjective. What is an "interesting" post? What's a "useless" post? The answer will change radically depending who you ask.
    You don't know my standards of moderation.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 18:23
    Anybody's standards of moderation would be too subjective. While I find it rather sad that people keep recommending meaningless drivel, I think it would be completely wrong to let someone decide which recs count and which don't. Ragnorak's idea to have different types of recs makes more sense to me, although I think it's too complicated. Another idea would be to have separate lists for the different forums. Most of the meaningless-drivel-recs are probably in the General Forum. Most of the interesting posts I have found via the rec list were in Debates or Spirituality. If the lists were separate, I could just skip the wrecked General list.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 22:09
    What was all that talk about banishing insults and useless posts from the rec list while saving interesting posts? Those are standards, despite their vagueness.
  9. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 22:14
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    What was all that talk about banishing insults and useless posts from the rec list while saving interesting posts? Those are standards, despite their vagueness.
    The point is, that the reason the rec system may be due for the chop is because the front page of the rec section is full of "you're a jerk" type posts. I was just thinking of a way of clearing them without deleting them altogether, maybe the use of the words "useless posts" was an err on my part, i apologise.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 05:04
    The point is, that the reason the rec system may be due for the chop is because the front page of the rec section is full of "you're a jerk" type posts. I was just thinking of a way of clearing them without deleting them altogether, maybe the use of the words "useless posts" was an err on my part, i apologise.
    No need for apology, just exploring the issue...

I agree cutting down on insults is a noble goal, but again, it is not always clear what is an insult and what is not. Some friends tease each other pretty hard, and it sounds like insults to a third-party observer. Do we want to start removing that stuff?

What if the insult is more clever/original than the average "you're a jerk/idiot/moron" type? I'd hate to see some of the wittier insults get wiped off the list.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree