1. silicon valley
    Moves
    23 Apr '05 05:03
    how about a redhotpawn arena for kids?

(i looked at the faq and tried searching the site ideas forum for "kids" and "children" and didn't find anything on this.)

i guess the ad bars would need to be different.

cub scouts have a chess belt loop, it would be nice if the kids could play each other online.
  2. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    23 Apr '05 11:00
    Used to be like that, but this website has 'banned' little children under 13 because private messaging and conversation via the forums makes these children vulnerable (spelling?) to naughty adults and their naughty subjects. Well, will be at least one of the reasons this website has no kids playing around. Officially.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    23 Apr '05 23:06
    well, all those are problems that could be handled without banning.

one way would be to require minors to have a parent on a partner account. the parent could have total visibility into the kids' message logs, etc. a lot of features could be disabled for kids.

the minor leagues could be a new source of ad funds ...

("the baby out with the bathwater ..."😉

4. Talysarn
    Moves
    23 Apr '05 23:17
    One reason I play on this site is that there are NO kids here!
  5. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    23 Apr '05 23:28
    One reason to avoid the forums is that there are too many kids here!
  6. silicon valley
    Moves
    24 Apr '05 18:54
    Originally posted by Tigran Vartanovich
    One reason I play on this site is that there are NO kids here!
    i'm not suggesting mixing the kids with the grownups unreservedly ... they should have their own area ...
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Apr '05 01:07
    if someone listed themselves as under 13 the site could just
    ban them from the forums and delete messaging back and forth
    to the players...the kids could have their own clan page...
  8. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    25 Apr '05 03:31
    Originally posted by GENGAR
    if someone listed themselves as under 13 the site could just
    ban them from the forums and delete messaging back and forth
    to the players...the kids could have their own clan page...
    That would make it more kid friendly. As it is, I'm hesitant to tell kids about the site. Some sort of forum block, or maybe all but the Chess forum would work (so the kids could ask questions and talk chess).
  9. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    25 Apr '05 08:33
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    well, all those are problems that could be handled without banning.

one way would be to require minors to have a parent on a partner account. the parent could have total visibility into the kids' message logs, etc. a lot of features could be disabled for kids.

the minor leagues could be a new source of ad funds ...

("the baby out with the bathwater ..."😉

Agreed! I would love to let my daughter join, as a child on my account. No forums, no PMs. The pricing may need to be on a reduced basis though - $60 is a bit high for us in "poorer" countries. Forum bans should be dead easy to arrange, as the system already has this in place for trouble makers. As for PM's, a simple line of code in the message retrieval module could change whatever the PM is, to an empty string. (If usertype == child {return ''}; )

10. Why Do You Care?
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 02:54
    What are you smoking? This is a kids server, there is nothing complicated about this site. Theres pictures for everything you click on for those are can't read. I mean you know that your site is simple when you don't even need to read to get around.
  11. silicon valley
    Moves
    28 Apr '05 04:54
    Originally posted by Pawn Artist
    What are you smoking? This is a kids server, there is nothing complicated about this site. Theres pictures for everything you click on for those are can't read. I mean you know that your site is simple when you don't even need to read to get around.

it's against policy to have kids under 13, some of the forum posts are too rough for kids, some of the ads are too R-rated for kids, there's the possibility of predators using messages to contact kids .... all these eventualities are handled on kids' sites, don't know how difficult they would be to handle on RHP. but as i said, it could be a new source of ad revenue (could have ad links to Nickolodeon, movie sites, videogame sites, etc.)
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Apr '05 13:49
    russ put in the pictures just for you 😀
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Apr '05 13:50
    and a link to someplace that sells nice children's books...reading
    is important..🙄
  14. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 23:15
    It is a nice idea, but I want to steer well clear of anything on the net that is targeted specifically at kids. It is a shame, but I don’t have the resources to provide a safe place for minors.

-Russ
  15. London
    Moves
    30 Apr '05 00:28
    I woulden't think kids would play on a correspondence chess, because they usually don't have the patience to play a slow game. Im 16 yrs old I learnt it when I was 8 but if you told me to play here on RHP 8 years ago I would definetly not play here. Kids want to play blitz chess with funny little characters (chess peices)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree