Moves
    13 Oct '05 07:19
    THIS
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 07:21
    Also note that whether you have read a thread or not is not stored by RHP. This would be a strain on the server which should be concentrated on chess, the main point of the site. Without this, you can't only recieve one email whenever a thread has replies rather than one per reply.
  4. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 09:36
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    THIS
    That's why there should be an option to turn it off, for example a check box next to the 'post' button which if ticked means you are set to get emails on reply, if unchecked you won't get the emails. To change this simply post once more in the thread and check/uncheck the option before clicking 'post'.

This would not cause any server load problems as it is one small bit of data per thread per user who has posted in it.
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 18:282 edits
    Originally posted by rhb
    That's why there should be an option to turn it off, for example a check box next to the 'post' button which if ticked means you are set to get emails on reply, if unchecked you won't get the emails. To change this simply post once more in the thread and check/uncheck the option before clicking 'post'.

This would not cause any server load problems as it is one small bit of data per thread per user who has posted in it.
    I believe that actually that's a much larger number than you think.
  6. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 19:48
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I believe that actually that's a much larger number than you think.
    For all the users that don't turn it on in the first place it's zero data, and it's only one set of data per user when turned on - not per post, otherwise it'd bring the other sites that already use it down very quickly.

There would be extra load on the server sending the emails though agreed, but that can take over where move reminders used to sit.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '05 01:34
    Actually the load would be minimal, maybe slow down pages loading by 1 millionth of a second. in other words un-noticeable. Most free forums I've been to have the feature, and as previously explained, the default could be set to "no notifications"
    It's simple to find ones games in progress without an email but it's bloody time-consuming trying to wade through all the topics in the forums to find the ones you were taking part in.
    If you are happy with it how it is now, you should have no reason to oppose the idea as it would have no noticeable effect on you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree