1. Standard memberPaulisfree2be
    Shanghai China
    Shanghai
    Moves
    28 May '05 16:17
    It would be realistic and useful if one could resign a game while it is not your turn.

Sometimes, one decides to resign lost games at the same time, before winning others games, in order to minimise the affect on one's rating.

I think it is simple enough to implement since the resignation procedure has already been written.
  2. Joined
    31 Dec '02
    Moves
    28 May '05 16:19
    Originally posted by Paulisfree2be
    It would be realistic and useful if one could resign a game while it is not your turn.

Sometimes, one decides to resign lost games at the same time, before winning others games, in order to minimise the affect on one's rating.

I think it is simple enough to implement since the resignation procedure has already been written.
    i second that
  3. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 09:21

No, bad idea. For starters, the main reason is exactly as you've said, it makes it easy to manipulate your rating. You should, idealistically, have no real interest in the manipulation of your rating and instead you should just simply try to win every game regardless of the ratings effect is has.

Secondly, if you subscribe, and for example you get 50 games going at the same time, the interest in resigning a game when it's not your move is far far less than it is when you only have a 6 game maximum.
  4. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 12:56
    I think this is a good idea, and it has been raised many times in the past.
    Firstly, you can do this in a normal otb or even correspondence game. Secondly, it has a very minimal effect in terms of rating manipulation - if you're going to do this (does it really make that much difference?) then you'll delay moving at all until the optimum time.
  5. Joined
    31 Dec '02
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 18:38
    in Live chess you can throw your king and resign at any point you like, your move or not..

so why not here too?
  6. Virginia
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 19:52
    There are times when I go back and look at a game and decide I am doomed. This can be from just realizing what the opponent's setup is, or from making a REALLY bad move. Let people resign anytime.
  7. Joined
    02 Jun '05
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 01:40
    PLEASE I have two games where my opponent wont even move i dont want to claim a win because i saw this other player who lost all her games but two that she won on time... its just silly. please, i really need to resign the games because theyre going to win anyways and i want to start a new game. im only playing 4, i could be playnig up to 20,000 games at a time with the time i have, please HELP ME SOMEONE
  8. Standard memberPaulisfree2be
    Shanghai China
    Shanghai
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 07:03
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    it makes it easy to manipulate your rating.
    Hopscoth:
    the website should cater to the free will of everyone, not just your perspective that one should NOT be interested nin their rating.
    Some are interested, so let them be interested, if you are not then you do not have to be, no need to force us to comply with your perspective now.

Resignation is a basic right for a chess player.
  9. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 09:01
    Hopscoth:
    the website should cater to the free will of everyone, not just your perspective that one should NOT be interested nin their rating.
    Some are interested, so let them be interested, if you are not then you do not have to be, no need to force us to comply with your perspective now.

Resignation is a basic right for a chess player.
    Paul,

If you want a website to cater for the free will of everyone then how would you tally the whim of that will so that it suits everyone? This is not a democracy, this is a capitalistic enterprise, therefore it's simply more profitable for the proprietors of this website not to allow you to resign a game when it's not your turn, because as a subscriber you have an unlimited number of games, so the timing of your resignation is not important as you may simply start up another game any time. This is a motivation for you to subscribe, as being stuck waiting for a game that you're losing is more of an issue for non-subs who are limited to 6 games.

And, I believe I said You should, idealistically, have no real interest in the manipulation of your rating and instead you should just simply try to win every game regardless of the ratings effect is has. I'm not trying to force you to accept my viewpoint, I'm stating what I believe to be an idealistic condition. I also believe that idealistically we should all live forever and have lots of sex with ridiculously pretty girls, but that doesn't mean that I'm forcing you to accept my viewpoint.

And also, if you don't rush your moves then you'd be able to make the decision to resign before you click on the move button.
  10. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 11:21
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    Paul,

If you want a website to cater for the free will of everyone then how would you tally the whim of that will so that it suits everyone? This is not a democracy, this is a capitalistic enterprise, therefore it's simply more profitable for the proprietors of this website not to allow you to resign a game when it's not your turn, because as a subscr ...[text shortened]... s then you'd be able to make the decision to resign before you click on the move button.
    Whether this site is run as a capitalist enterprise or not is irrelevant.

It is a chess site.

The rules of chess are clear - you can resign at any time.

This site should reflect this.

You can't (and I'm sure Russ wouldn't want to) manipulate the rules of the game to suit the site.
  11. Standard membercelticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    Eastbourne
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 11:36
    [b]"could resign a game while it is not your turn.".....
    Its against the rules of chess.
  12. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 11:46
    Originally posted by celticcountry
    Its against the rules of chess.
    Sorry, but it is within the rules to resign at any time.
  13. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 13:442 edits
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Sorry, but it is within the rules to resign at any time.
    Edit 2: I can see now that there is merit to this idea, and retract my disagreement.