Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 16 Nov '05 13:16
    With the take up of Smart devices amongst so many Internet users, would it not be possible to add smartphone/pda access to make your moves while on the move?

    How many times have I wished that I could access RHP to pass the time whilst standing around waiting for my wife to finish her shopping or trying on clothes or whilst stuck in a traffic jam in the UK.
  2. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    16 Nov '05 13:30
    I have been promising this for a year now, but things are starting to take shape on this front now. It will happen in the near future.

    -Russ
  3. 16 Nov '05 21:21
    Thanks Russ, great to hear and looking forward to being entertained when out and about.
  4. Standard member zakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    17 Nov '05 00:30
    I'd be inclined to buy a pda if this were available.
  5. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    17 Nov '05 10:25
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    I'd be inclined to buy a pda if this were available.
    It's a pity Russ isn't on commission from the PDA makers....
  6. Standard member Crowley
    Not Aleister
    17 Nov '05 13:17
    PDA's are for yuppy scum.
  7. Standard member Wheely
    Instant Buzz
    19 Nov '05 23:07
    I seem to have posted a similar thread as I didn't see this one sadly.

    However, in order to get RHP working fine on the Sony PSP, all we would need is a slightly smaller "small" board option

    Here's hoping

    Regards
  8. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    20 Nov '05 19:57
    You mean the site almost works on a PSP? Are you giving me a GENUINE reason to buy one, so I can test against it????

    -Russ
  9. Standard member Santa Drummer
    I AM INNOCENT
    20 Nov '05 20:00
    Originally posted by Russ
    You mean the site almost works on a PSP? Are you giving me a GENUINE reason to buy one, so I can test against it????

    -Russ
    Yeh, board is too big
  10. Standard member Wheely
    Instant Buzz
    21 Nov '05 18:37 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Russ
    You mean the site almost works on a PSP? Are you giving me a GENUINE reason to buy one, so I can test against it????

    -Russ
    Russ,

    Yes, everything works perfectly, even the analayze board!. If you set your board size to "small", you so nearly get the whole thing on the screen but not quite Scrolling around is quite easy with the "square" button and the thumb joystick but it WOULD be nice if we could have a slightly smaller board too

    I hear they are difficult to get in the UK at the moment so if you really want to do some testing on one, I'll get you one. You have my e-mail.

    edit: This edit posted using PSP!

    edit2: This edit not done using PSP because it appears to have a text entry limit which I reached. However, I was going to add that to get the board to nearly fit, you have to set the browser display mode on the PSP to "Just-Fit" and it nearly does!
  11. 06 Dec '05 06:16
    Originally posted by Russ
    I have been promising this for a year now, but things are starting to take shape on this front now. It will happen in the near future.

    -Russ
    On a similar line, Is there any chance of a text only page (which would make it subscriber only, due to no ads), which just shows the side to move, timeout, and position as a FEN?

    It ought to be possible to make that readable on almost any screen.

    Gezza
  12. 10 Jan '06 15:45
    actually, by making a very small board available for Windows Mobile devices everything should work fine. Just viewing the board is causing some problems.

    Getting excited about the possibility!!???!??!?!!
  13. Standard member celticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    10 Jan '06 16:33
    Originally posted by druss
    actually, by making a very small board available for Windows Mobile devices everything should work fine. Just viewing the board is causing some problems.

    Getting excited about the possibility!!???!??!?!!
    I remember . I could view the everything on My NOKIA 6600.

    I could see the submit button.But I couldnt submit my moves.

    So close.
  14. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    10 Jan '06 18:45
    I have been testing using a very small board with the pending new board code. (Each piece being only 22pixels wide - but any size could feasibly be supported.)

    The new board code is JavaScript heavy though, so I suspect it will not work on most mobile devices. This is the reason that I need to prepare another board interface (with less thrills) that will work on all devices at low resolutions soon after the new board code goes live.

    -Russ
  15. 12 Jan '06 03:55
    Originally posted by Russ
    I have been testing using a very small board with the pending new board code. (Each piece being only 22pixels wide - but any size could feasibly be supported.)

    The new board code is JavaScript heavy though, so I suspect it will not work on most mobile devices. This is the reason that I need to prepare another board interface (with less thrills) that will work on all devices at low resolutions soon after the new board code goes live.

    -Russ
    There is a $500 pocket PC waiting at Circuit City (I already put my phone number in it, just in case any customers are lonely). I am waiting for your word. If the next update will support it, so I can play chess during breaks at work, then I'm going to get it.