RHP game CD

RHP game CD

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J
Trainee Party Animal

Moves
05 Jul 06

Just thought I would throw this one in and see what response I get.

How about a PGN CD of games completed on RHP for players that like to compile a dossier on their next opponent or just like to go through games?

It could be another revenue stream for Russ & Co. It is something that other established sites already do. If submitted to Chessbase to put on a CBM then it was also be advertising for this excellent site to people who may know the other sites but not this one.

Alternatively, it could be provided as a monthly or bi-yearly download for subs.

Any thoughts?

F

Moves
05 Jul 06

I like this idea!

a
Enola Straight

mouse mouse mouse

Moves
05 Jul 06

Originally posted by JDK2

How about a PGN CD of games completed on RHP for players that like to compile a dossier on their next opponent or just like to go through games?

It could be another revenue stream for Russ & Co. It is something that other established sites already do. If submitted to Chessbase to put on ...[text shortened]... ternatively, it could be provided as a monthly or bi-yearly download for subs.

Any thoughts?
I think it's a good idea, but finding someone to do it will be near impossible. Russ would have to right a program to get the pgns off without the manual labor of copying and pasting.

J
Trainee Party Animal

Moves
05 Jul 06

Hi Ark13, yes you are right. It depends how it is ordered and what system it is on. Something like Linux would be 5 minute job as you could write a shell script to do it pretty easily. If it was in Windows then the CAT command would do the job maybe.

All a PGN is is a text file really with special tags. All or most of which are already standard on RHP.

Plop!

/dev/null

Moves
05 Jul 06

Assuming he stores all the games in a database of some sorts it should not be too much of a problem to write a query that will save all games in a pgn file. It will generate a huge server load for a little while so play will be very slow while this is running, considering there are more then 2,000,000 games to export.

But i think that most people interested in a cd like that are willing to pay a little fee for it as well, i know that i would not mind paying that 🙂 Or maybe he could put a zipped version up somewhere for us to download, for a little fee too of course because it will use up a lot of bandwidth when people start downloading this.

F

Moves
05 Jul 06

Originally posted by coentje
...because it will use up a lot of bandwidth when people start downloading this.
I don't think this will be a problem.
He can open the database for download at the calm hours of the day.
Even chessplayers have to sleep sometimes...

Plop!

/dev/null

Moves
05 Jul 06

Originally posted by FabianFnas
I don't think this will be a problem.
He can open the database for download at the calm hours of the day.
Even chessplayers have to sleep sometimes...
the problem is not only decreased performance but bandwith costs money and if Russ exceeds the allotted bandwith his bills will go up that is why if he asks a little fee to download the complete database of games on the site he will be able to break at least even on that part.

And you are right, even chess players need to sleep. But that still makes it difficult to decide the calm hours of the day since the players of this site are scattered all over the world. That means in all time zones and that means that there are no real calm hours since there are always people playing here.

F

Moves
06 Jul 06

Originally posted by coentje
And you are right, even chess players need to sleep. But that still makes it difficult to decide the calm hours of the day since the players of this site are scattered all over the world. That means in all time zones and that means that there are no real calm hours since there are always people playing here.
That's true.
The majority of the players plays from USA and their time zones. There is also a bunch from Europe and their time zones but the majority is still from USA.
When the sun peaks in Asia, I don't think the press of bandwith is very high 'cause thats when Americans are snoring.
I would think Russ has the statistics of that.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
06 Jul 06

Originally posted by JDK2

It could be another revenue stream for Russ & Co. It is something that other established sites already do. If submitted to Chessbase to put on ...[text shortened]... ternatively, it could be provided as a monthly or bi-yearly download for subs.

Any thoughts?
Yes, this is a good idea! There is one problem though, most of the games played on this site are between very low graded players, so running statistics on certain openings would be pointless as most games are decided by errors rather than good strategy.

I have downloaded bases from ICCF recently which exclusively use 2000+ players. I think they are collections of games from high banded tournaments though i'm not certain of this...

F

Moves
06 Jul 06

Originally posted by marinakatomb
Yes, this is a good idea! There is one problem though, most of the games played on this site are between very low graded players, so running statistics on certain openings would be pointless as most games are decided by errors rather than good strategy.

I have downloaded bases from ICCF recently which exclusively use 2000+ players. I think they are collections of games from high banded tournaments though i'm not certain of this...
In the PGN-tags, if there is tags showing the RHP-rating one could filter these games with low rating.
Or if one is interested of an opponent one can filter this, and so on.

My suggestion is to present the rating for the players in the tag portion.

R

London

Moves
07 Jul 06

Great idea. I'd definitely pay a few pounds for this. I agree with Fabian about exporting the (end-of-game) ratings too.