1. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 20:12
    I have the rhp game client on my android phone and there are a few things I don't like about it:

a) When running in the background it crashes after a while.
    b) It doesn't turn the board around if I am playing black
    c) It has no "analyse board"

Does anyone else have these issues with it.

What I was wondering was, if, for a bit of a hobby, I could have a go at improving it, does anyone know where can I get the source?
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 00:19
    Isn't the new site designed to work well with android?
    beta.redhotpawn.com

As a separate issue, if they're not going to continue with a specific android app, send feedback and ask Russ if he'll give you the code for it.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 02:54
    Originally posted by iamatiger

Really? Works for me.
  4. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 02:59
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    I have the rhp game client on my android phone and there are a few things I don't like about it:

a) When running in the background it crashes after a while.
    c) It has no "analyse board"

Does anyone else have these issues with it.

What I was wondering was, if, for a bit of a hobby, I could have a go at improving it, does anyone know where can I get the source?
    my htc android phone works fine, better than my samsung tab 10 android
  5. Hell
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 08:10
    I pointed out the missing analysis board in the early days; told by the end of the week but not which week I think!
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 14:242 edits
    Originally posted by Bael
    I pointed out the missing analysis board in the early days; told by the end of the week but not which week I think!
    I hang my head in shame about the lack of Android client updates. Its a pretty poor show, but it is just an human resource issue. (As in, one of me developing)

It still appears quite popular, despite the lightness of features, and I really do intend to update it, but I started to question the value of native apps due to the time consuming development which was mostly replicating what a web browser does very well anyway. That is why I intend to review web apps again before investing loads of time in improving the current native client.
  7. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 00:37
    Originally posted by Russ
    I hang my head in shame about the lack of Android client updates. Its a pretty poor show, but it is just an human resource issue. (As in, one of me developing)

It still appears quite popular, despite the lightness of features, and I really do intend to update it, but I started to question the value of native apps due to the time consuming development which ...[text shortened]... to review web apps again before investing loads of time in improving the current native client.
    Just as clarification, will you tell me please.

I use normally 2 tabs. Immortal Blue in one tab
    and time for chess in the other. When this new
    beta site goes live, is that the end of the old look?
    what exactly is going to happen?

I will miss time for chess and immortal blue. 🙁
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 01:041 edit
    TimeForChess and PlayTheImmortalGame will be available for you to use as tabs just as they were before. They'll just be a different layout on the screen. That's all that's happening here, a change of screen layout with a couple of new features like drag'n'drop added.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 16:09
    Originally posted by Russ

It still appears quite popular, despite the lightness of features, and I really do intend to update it, but I started to question the value of native apps due to the time consuming development which ...[text shortened]... to review web apps again before investing loads of time in improving the current native client.
    I'd suggest ditching the native app and making a mobile version of the site with much more compact menus. Ideally, the user should not have to scroll to see the game board.
  10. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '13 17:01
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I'd suggest ditching the native app and making a mobile version of the site with much more compact menus. Ideally, the user should not have to scroll to see the game board.
    mobile.redhotpawn.com still exists, for subscribers (if you can buy a fancy mobile phone, and the data connection for internet, a subscription is not that expensive).

I do remember threats of it disappearing though, so I am not sure of the future of that one.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Apr '13 23:03
    Originally posted by gezza
    mobile.redhotpawn.com still exists, for subscribers (if you can buy a fancy mobile phone, and the data connection for internet, a subscription is not that expensive).

I do remember threats of it disappearing though, so I am not sure of the future of that one.
    I tried that .. but you're limited to a black and white board and one choice of piece set. The native Android app looks better.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree