1. Subscriberstratosph3R3
    The Peacemaker
    Out of Lockdown
    Moves
    20 May '06 22:34
    Is it possible to establish a list of pre-set set piece boards that players can choose from, perhaps some of the more popular openings (or topical openings dicussed in the forums)?

I realise it would be a large task given that there 100s of openings in variation permeations, but it would give some players the opportunity to experiment with move options and lower rated players may then get the opportunity to play against higher rated opponents (without the higher rated opponents being concern about losing rating points).
  2. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    21 May '06 07:50
    Originally posted by STRATOSPH3R3
    Is it possible to establish a list of pre-set set piece boards that players can choose from, perhaps some of the more popular openings (or topical openings dicussed in the forums)?

I realise it would be a large task given that there 100s of openings in variation permeations, but it would give some players the opportunity to experiment with move opti ...[text shortened]... r rated opponents (without the higher rated opponents being concern about losing rating points).
    I completely agree. At the very least a list of basic openings like the Ruy Lopez (only set to Bb5), Italian (Bc4), Caro-Cann (e4 c6 d4 d5), Sicilian (maybe a couple specific variations since there are so many), French (e4 e6 d4 d5). This would be very good learning material for beginners as they can have 1 well known opening for each color until they need to learn more.

Good idea Stratosphere.

Rec'd.
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    21 May '06 07:52
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    I completely agree. At the very least a list of basic openings like the Ruy Lopez (only set to Bb5), Italian (Bc4), Caro-Cann (e4 c6 d4 d5), Sicilian (maybe a couple specific variations since there are so many), French (e4 e6 d4 d5). This would be very good learning material for beginners as they can have 1 well known opening for each color until they need to learn more.

Good idea Stratosphere.

Rec'd.
    If you have Greasemonkey and the script that allows pasting a FEN position into the set piece window then you don't need this at all.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 May '06 08:03
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    If you have Greasemonkey and the script that allows pasting a FEN position into the set piece window then you don't need this at all.
    Actualy, you don't need anything that you can't find within RHP already.
    You can create FENs using "New Game" -> "Advanced Options" -> "Play from set piece".
    That's the tool I use to make FENs to the One Move A Day series.
  5. Subscriberstratosph3R3
    The Peacemaker
    Out of Lockdown
    Moves
    21 May '06 09:13
    Excuse my ignorance Xanthos, but what is Greasemonkey and how does it actually work?
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    21 May '06 09:27
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Actualy, you don't need anything that you can't find within RHP already.
    You can create FENs using "New Game" -> "Advanced Options" -> "Play from set piece".
    That's the tool I use to make FENs to the One Move A Day series.
    Except that's the reverse of what is needed. With the extension installed I can paste a FEN into a box on the set piece page, press enter and have it set up that position for me which I can then play from with a single press of a button.

As for what Greasemonkey is, it is an extension that allows scripts to be run on the client end of Firefox to modify how a page is displayed.
    You can get the extension here: http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/
    Ouroboros has written a ton of useful RHP scripts which you can find here: http://members.shaw.ca/ouroboros/RHP/

Remember: this is for Firefox.
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    21 May '06 12:32
    Originally posted by STRATOSPH3R3
    Excuse my ignorance Xanthos, but what is Greasemonkey and how does it actually work?
    Google is your friend.
  8. Standard membermosquitorespect
    Not Royalty
    Not in a palace
    Moves
    21 May '06 13:20
    Presumably, a list of FENs would then be needed, so why not just have a "set" set piece chooser screen where you can click on the board of your choice and immediately start the game?
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    22 May '06 01:07
    Originally posted by mosquitorespect
    Presumably, a list of FENs would then be needed, so why not just have a "set" set piece chooser screen where you can click on the board of your choice and immediately start the game?
    It takes a mere second to either load up your favourite board viewing program and set up whatever position you want and copy the FEN or just make the moves on the set piece board.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree