1. The sky
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 22:03
    When you click a skull, this message pops up: "Please only claim victory if your opponent refuses to move. Do you still want to claim the win?" I think this gives a wrong idea about timeout wins, making it sound like you should feel guilty for claiming them. Judging from the fora, most people on this site agree that timing out your opponent without a warning is perfectly acceptable, as time is part of the game, and it's your opponent's responsibility to keep track of it xymself. So I think that message should be dropped.
  2. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 22:39
    When I see the message I imagine Russ was muttering "Yeah, right!" when he wrote it. Perhaps we could have a sardonic face smilie popped on to the end.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 12:24
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    When you click a skull, this message pops up: "Please only claim victory if your opponent refuses to move. Do you still want to claim the win?" I think this gives a wrong idea about timeout wins, making it sound like you should feel guilty for claiming them. Judging from the fora, most people on this site agree that timing out your opponent without a warnin ...[text shortened]... ent's responsibility to keep track of it xymself. So I think that message should be dropped.
    rec'd and supported!
  4. ALG
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 14:09
    Originally posted by Lukerik
    When I see the message I imagine Russ was muttering "Yeah, right!" when he wrote it. Perhaps we could have a sardonic face smilie popped on to the end.
    rec'd and supported! 😛
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 17:29
    When you click a skull, this message pops up: "Please only claim victory if your opponent refuses to move. Do you still want to claim the win?" I think this gives a wrong idea about timeout wins, making it sound like you should feel guilty for claiming them. Judging from the fora, most people on this site agree that timing out your opponent without a warnin ...[text shortened]... ent's responsibility to keep track of it xymself. So I think that message should be dropped.
    While I agree in principle - if I see skulls they get clicked - sometimes I don't really want to take the skull as it is a friendly game.

As such the little reminder gives me that 2nd chance to see who I am about to time out, and the opportunity not to, if appropriate.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 17:34
    I bump an old idea, I don't remember the origin:

What if you can chose between a clear cut win *and* a friendly draw at the time of a time out?
  7. The sky
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 17:39
    Originally posted by adramforall
    While I agree in principle - if I see skulls they get clicked - sometimes I don't really want to take the skull as it is a friendly game.

As such the little reminder gives me that 2nd chance to see who I am about to time out, and the opportunity not to, if appropriate.
    I wouldn't want to get rid of the box altogether, just that message. You should still have to confirm the claim (just like you have to confirm resignations). Otherwise it would be too easy to do it accidentally.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 18:342 edits
    When you click a skull, this message pops up: "Please only claim victory if your opponent refuses to move. Do you still want to claim the win?" I think this gives a wrong idea about timeout wins, making it sound like you should feel guilty for claiming them. Judging from the fora, most people on this site agree that timing out your opponent without a warnin ent's responsibility to keep track of it xymself. So I think that message should be dropped.
    Agreed - time is part of the game, and players aren't obligated to nag the opponent to figure out if they're really 'refusing to move' or not. In my view, the skull is sufficient proof that the opponent refused to move [barring incapacitation].

A compromise: Warn people that the result is final and game cannot be reinstated [similar to the resignation pop-up]. [Edit: beaten to it!]
  9. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 20:39
    Agree and rec'd
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 00:58
    I agree. Time is a critical element in competitive chess.

The message should be changed to read: "Time has expired. You are entitled to claim victory if your opponent has failed to move."
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 19:34
    I think the message should say, "Sweep the leg Johnny, NO MERCY"!

P-
  12. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 19:39
    I wouldn't want to get rid of the box altogether, just that message. You should still have to confirm the claim (just like you have to confirm resignations). Otherwise it would be too easy to do it accidentally.
    Bah! Get rid of the box altogether. It would be a tragedy if your opponent managed to sneak in a move in the half second it takes to make the second click!
  13. Standard memberO Artem O
    ParTizan
    Philadelphia, USA
    Moves
    12 Nov '08 03:57
    i dont even know what it says lol never read it

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree