Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 22 Sep '08 08:02
    Why not do away with skulls and award the game as soon as time runs out
    apart from vacations .
    I take skulls as soon as I see one but have upset someone by doing this
  2. 22 Sep '08 10:31
    Good one.. just like 'normal'.. when time runs out, the game is lost..

    Rec..
  3. 22 Sep '08 11:23
    Or expand the current system to include auto-timeouts on clan games.

    I don't see a need for it in normal challenges. Quite often, people play their buddies and will not care about timing them out.
  4. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    22 Sep '08 18:24 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by padger
    Why not do away with skulls and award the game as soon as time runs out
    apart from vacations .
    I take skulls as soon as I see one but have upset someone by doing this
    Awww nooo... I do enjoy clicking on those skulls so much.

    You guys are always looking for new ways to spoil my fun!

    Just tell the person to "Chill" he/she agreed to the time in advance!
    That usually ends it.
  5. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    22 Sep '08 18:29
    Originally posted by padger
    Why not do away with skulls and award the game as soon as time runs out
    apart from vacations .
    I take skulls as soon as I see one but have upset someone by doing this
    I don't take skulls as soon as I see them, so I don't think the rule should be changed just because YOU are too afraid to tell a user who got timed out "TOO BAD".

    If you're bothered by users getting on your case for using an available feature, don't use it.

    P-
  6. 22 Sep '08 20:54
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I don't take skulls as soon as I see them, so I don't think the rule should be changed just because YOU are too afraid to tell a user who got timed out "TOO BAD".

    If you're bothered by users getting on your case for using an available feature, don't use it.

    P-
    I am not that bothered but why have them in the first place ?
    The time limit is there so why not end it when time runs out
  7. 22 Sep '08 21:01
    Originally posted by padger
    I am not that bothered but why have them in the first place ?
    The time limit is there so why not end it when time runs out
    Clan games, league games, siege games and tournament games will all expire without user intervention (or so I believe).
    It's only the "open invites" and direct challenges where you have to end the game with a skull if one player stops playing.

    Seems reasonable.

    I wouldn't want league or clan matches held up just 'cos someone wasn't clicking skulls, but at the same time I might have a match where the time was not as important as actually finishing a game (with a friend for example) where an auto-timeout would be a pain.
  8. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    22 Sep '08 22:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by orangutan
    Clan games, league games, siege games and tournament games will all expire without user intervention (or so I believe).
    It's only the "open invites" and direct challenges where you have to end the game with a skull if one player stops playing.

    Seems reasonable.

    I wouldn't want league or clan matches held up just 'cos someone wasn't clicking s ...[text shortened]... tually finishing a game (with a friend for example) where an auto-timeout would be a pain.
    I would be "Strongly in favour of all PFC'ers" being auto timed out!

    With the exception of Phlabs for now.
  9. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    23 Sep '08 13:50
    Originally posted by padger
    I am not that bothered but why have them in the first place ?
    The time limit is there so why not end it when time runs out
    Because some users here play for enjoyment and will give a tad bit extra time. Some users play for blood.

    If you want blood, click the skull. If someone complains, tell them 'too bad'.

    It should remain an option, not be changed because someone feels bad when they click it.

    P-
  10. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    23 Sep '08 13:51
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    I would be "Strongly in favour of all PFC'ers" being auto timed out!

    With the exception of Phlabs for now.
    Phlab got timed out in a game a week or 2 back.

    It was my fault, so no complaints.

    P-
  11. 23 Sep '08 14:36
    Originally posted by orangutan
    Clan games, league games, siege games and tournament games will all expire without user intervention (or so I believe).
    I don't know about league or siege games, but clan games only time out after a couple of months or so. I think Russ introduced that to prevent that a clan challenge is left hanging forever if one pair of players has left the site, so that there's nobody there to claim the skull.

    Personally I wouldn't mind if clan games would auto-timeout after two days like tournament games, but for friendly games I definitely wouldn't want an auto-timeout. I play some games in which the time controls are completely uninteresting to me, and I would definitely not click the skull because I enjoy the game and maybe the conversation we are having.
  12. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    23 Sep '08 14:42
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I don't know about league or siege games, but clan games only time out after a couple of months or so. I think Russ introduced that to prevent that a clan challenge is left hanging forever if one pair of players has left the site, so that there's nobody there to claim the skull.

    Personally I wouldn't mind if clan games would auto-timeout after two days li ...[text shortened]... itely not click the skull because I enjoy the game and maybe the conversation we are having.
    No one should fear hitting the skull in a clan game. THIS IS WAR!

    P-