1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 14:51
    Just a little update as I have been a little quiet of late.

Right now I'm working on a new board interface for RHP which will unify code for a whole load of things - everywhere a board is rendered on the site it will use the same code - and this includes the blitz site.

Since Adobe has waved the white flag on Flash on mobile, it is time to move away from the tech altogether. Someone rightly complained the other day that they could not use the blitz site on an iPad, which nicely illustrates the problem.

Anyway, this is a fairly significant update, so there will be a beta at some point once all the hacking has finished before deploying proper in New Year. The Flash Blitz site will not vanish right away, as that is a whole project again on top of new board UI.

Benefits of new code? Well, the boards will look like the existing boards, but crucially, can be made to look very different should I choose. (A 3D board for example, using HTML5, for example.) Also a drag and drop option (at last!) and greater flexibility for variant support, if needed later.

Basically, it should cover all future requirements for the foreseeable future.

Expect changes to all pages whereever a board is shown, hopefully in a way everyone thinks is positive.

As a result of the above, the existing legacy board interface will be retired. The current board interface may continue to be supported as a "new" legacy board. Undecided on this just now.
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Nov '11 14:56
    Originally posted by Russ
    Expect changes to all pages whereever a board is shown, hopefully in a way everyone thinks is positive.

As a result of the above, the existing legacy board interface will be retired. The current board interface may continue to be supported as a "new" legacy board. Undecided on this just now.
    Please do keep it. Some of us still like things simple and effective rather than flashy (let alone Flashy) and unworkable. As it is now, the site just works, which is a Good Thing.

Richard
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    24 Nov '11 16:42
    One thing i think i should add seeing as you are updating the blitz site. The current version only allows you to pick up and move a piece when it is your move. Every serious blitz site on the net allows you to move a piece and then release it on your move (some sites also allow you to submit a move before your opponent moves 'a pre-move' which is then submitted instantly upon your opponents move, regardless of what that is, obviously it must still be a legal move).

RHP blitz failed badly in this regard as, if you play 1 minute chess, it is physically impossible to play the game properly. A lot of moves lead to forced variations and skilled players can predict their opponents response, sometimes for some moves ahead. It is absolutley essential that those moves can be submitted at lightening speed, and when i say that i'm really talking about 2 or 3 moves in a second (if premoves are being used). This is something that got over looked last time i feel, perhaps because neither you or chris play 1 minute blitz.. 😉 I think possibly 50% of all blitz games on the net are played at 1min 0inc time controls, development should focus on making this as efficient as possible. Obviously all other time controls would benefit as well...

Also, it would be brilliant if our blitz games were archived. I, like a lot of players, like to do a cursory analysis of lost games after they're played. 🙂
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '11 17:05
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    One thing i think i should add seeing as you are updating the blitz site. The current version only allows you to pick up and move a piece when it is your move. Every serious blitz site on the net allows you to move a piece and then release it on your move (some sites also allow you to submit a move before your opponent moves 'a pre-move' which is ...[text shortened]... like a lot of players, like to do a cursory analysis of lost games after they're played. 🙂
    I hear you but please don't call 1 minute time controls 'chess'.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    25 Nov '11 13:33
    Originally posted by Trev33
    It is chess, sounds like you don't know how to play bullet chess well. I enjoy it, but can only play a game or two in a given period because my heart feels like it will pop out of my chest.

It's not just fast moves, it is fast AND good moves.

P-
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    27 Nov '11 13:20
    Oh i know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if the site is going to provide a viable blitz site that competes with other existing sites then it needs to be quick and fluid to use. That's all i'm saying. I rarely play bullet any more, but if i do i don't play it here as the blitz section just doesn't allow you to move fast enough...
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    27 Nov '11 20:17
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Oh i know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if the site is going to provide a viable blitz site that competes with other existing sites then it needs to be quick and fluid to use. That's all i'm saying. I rarely play bullet any more, but if i do i don't play it here as the blitz section just doesn't allow you to move fast enough...
    The other blitz sites... do you have to pay to play or are they free? I assume the blitz section of this site was made for people like myself who rarely play blitz but when they do just wants a few causal games, if you want serious blitz chess go to a blitz site. RHP blitz was probably created to keep the casual users from looking elsewhere for a game of blitz.

The fact that Russ hasn't replied to your comment shows how low down the list of priorities RHP blitz is.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    27 Nov '11 20:20
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    It is chess, sounds like you don't know how to play bullet chess well. I enjoy it, but can only play a game or two in a given period because my heart feels like it will pop out of my chest.

P-
    I don't know how to play it well because i've never played anything less than a 5 minute game.

Chess wasn't created for 1 min games...
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 22:50
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Please do keep it. Some of us still like things simple and effective rather than flashy (let alone Flashy) and unworkable. As it is now, the site just works, which is a Good Thing.
    On which note...

Is the option to collapse the sidebar in My Games new? 'cause I spotted it just yesterday. If so, it is a new feature which makes the My Games display more rather than less simple and streamlined, and is therefore also a Good Thing.

Richard
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Dec '11 05:16
    I don't know how to play it well because i've never played anything less than a 5 minute game.

I use to play a lot of 2 minute stuff back some years ago.

It is fun, but NO you really can't call it chess.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Dec '11 05:18

P-
    You just bunch all your pieces together & hope your internet speed is better than your opponents. 😉
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    13 Dec '11 18:19

Your brain wasn't created for 1 minute games, don't blame chess.
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    13 Dec '11 18:39
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    You just bunch all your pieces together & hope your internet speed is better than your opponents. 😉
    No, you make sound moves that are often unexpected... and anticipate your opponent's next move.

""The (human) brain has a processing capacity of 0.1 quadrillion instructions per second.

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/brain-facts.shtml""
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Dec '11 20:40
    Your brain wasn't created for 1 minute games, don't blame chess.
    We'll never know if my brain was created for one minute chess because i wont be playing it. It isn't chess... if rusty says so it's fact, thought you would know that by now 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree