Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Subscriber Kewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    20 Dec '09 05:03
    I'd like to propose a small restraint on forum posting - inability to post unless at least 10 moves have been made since creating the user account.

    Could save our moderators from having to deal with the kind of spam attack we've just been experiencing.
  2. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    20 Dec '09 08:00
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I'd like to propose a small restraint on forum posting - inability to post unless at least 10 moves have been made since creating the user account.

    Could save our moderators from having to deal with the kind of spam attack we've just been experiencing.
    That would be easily circumvented by creating two accounts.

    There have also been valuable posters who have never moved. I wouldn't want them to lose their posting rights over the actions of a few abusers.
  3. Subscriber Kewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    20 Dec '09 12:01
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    That would be easily circumvented by creating two accounts.

    There have also been valuable posters who have never moved. I wouldn't want them to lose their posting rights over the actions of a few abusers.
    Guess you weren't around a few hours ago when the same guy created 16 accounts and kept the mods busy removing a score of rubbish posts.
  4. Standard member orion25
    Art is hard
    20 Dec '09 12:46
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Guess you weren't around a few hours ago when the same guy created 16 accounts and kept the mods busy removing a score of rubbish posts.
    yes, but no one is obliged to play chess. Many people visit RHP only for its forums, and are worthy posters. What would the forums be without these?
  5. Standard member Mctayto
    Highlander
    20 Dec '09 14:46
    Originally posted by orion25
    yes, but no one is obliged to play chess. Many people visit RHP only for its forums, and are worthy posters. What would the forums be without these?
    Forums are an exra, [b]We should all be here for chess first
  6. 20 Dec '09 17:01
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Guess you weren't around a few hours ago when the same guy created 16 accounts and kept the mods busy removing a score of rubbish posts.
    If he had 16 accounts, what would prevent him from making those 10 moves?
  7. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    20 Dec '09 17:23
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Guess you weren't around a few hours ago when the same guy created 16 accounts and kept the mods busy removing a score of rubbish posts.
    I've been around for years here and have seen countless spam attacks. I've no doubt that it's a chore for mods to clean them up.

    However, none of this invalidates my objections.
  8. 20 Dec '09 17:43
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I'd like to propose a small restraint on forum posting - inability to post unless at least 10 moves have been made since creating the user account.

    Could save our moderators from having to deal with the kind of spam attack we've just been experiencing.
    i disagree

    There are a couple of people on here who post just in the forums and dont play chess on here (or just on Blitz) - theres a few that post in only chess and some little puzzles as well
  9. 20 Dec '09 18:14
    Blocking IPs might help, also I wonder how if one e-mail account can hold several accounts? Or do these 3(c)/3(a)s also create 25 e-mail accounts?
  10. 20 Dec '09 21:56
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I'd like to propose a small restraint on forum posting - inability to post unless at least 10 moves have been made since creating the user account.

    Could save our moderators from having to deal with the kind of spam attack we've just been experiencing.
    Spammer opens account (or 10 or 15 or 100)

    Spammer goes to open invites and joins 10 or 15 or 100 games

    Spammer moves once in each game and hey presto they can now post.

    10, 15 or even 100 people now have games on their list where the spammer will not move again.

    You have now wasted the time of these people setting up games just to save the mods some time.

    A better idea would be to stop posters posting until they have been members for x number of days. Again this is pointless as he spammer merely sets up accounts each day and waits till the required period has passed.

    Spammers happen, there is nothing that can be done other than deleting their membership once they have been established as spammers.
  11. Standard member Mctayto
    Highlander
    21 Dec '09 02:10
    Originally posted by Silverstriker
    i disagree

    There are a couple of people on here who post just in the forums and dont play chess on here (or just on Blitz) - theres a few that post in only chess and some little puzzles as well
    Then they should be banned
  12. 22 Dec '09 06:25
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Spammer opens account (or 10 or 15 or 100)

    Spammer goes to open invites and joins 10 or 15 or 100 games

    Spammer moves once in each game and hey presto they can now post.

    10, 15 or even 100 people now have games on their list where the spammer will not move again.

    You have now wasted the time of these people setting up games just to save the ...[text shortened]... at can be done other than deleting their membership once they have been established as spammers.
    Thanks for spamming an answer.