Spammers

SubscriberKewpie
Site Ideas 20 Dec '09 05:03
  1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 05:03
    I'd like to propose a small restraint on forum posting - inability to post unless at least 10 moves have been made since creating the user account.

Could save our moderators from having to deal with the kind of spam attack we've just been experiencing.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 08:00
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I'd like to propose a small restraint on forum posting - inability to post unless at least 10 moves have been made since creating the user account.

Could save our moderators from having to deal with the kind of spam attack we've just been experiencing.
    That would be easily circumvented by creating two accounts.

There have also been valuable posters who have never moved. I wouldn't want them to lose their posting rights over the actions of a few abusers.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 12:01
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    That would be easily circumvented by creating two accounts.

There have also been valuable posters who have never moved. I wouldn't want them to lose their posting rights over the actions of a few abusers.
    Guess you weren't around a few hours ago when the same guy created 16 accounts and kept the mods busy removing a score of rubbish posts.
  4. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 12:46
    Guess you weren't around a few hours ago when the same guy created 16 accounts and kept the mods busy removing a score of rubbish posts.
    yes, but no one is obliged to play chess. Many people visit RHP only for its forums, and are worthy posters. What would the forums be without these?
  5. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 14:46
    Originally posted by orion25
    yes, but no one is obliged to play chess. Many people visit RHP only for its forums, and are worthy posters. What would the forums be without these?
    Forums are an exra, [b]We should all be here for chess first 😛 😛 😛
  6. ALG
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 17:01
    If he had 16 accounts, what would prevent him from making those 10 moves?
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 17:23
    I've been around for years here and have seen countless spam attacks. I've no doubt that it's a chore for mods to clean them up.

However, none of this invalidates my objections.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 17:43

i disagree

There are a couple of people on here who post just in the forums and dont play chess on here (or just on Blitz) - theres a few that post in only chess and some little puzzles as well
  9. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 18:14
    Blocking IPs might help, also I wonder how if one e-mail account can hold several accounts? Or do these 3(c)/3(a)s also create 25 e-mail accounts?
  10. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 21:56

Spammer opens account (or 10 or 15 or 100)

Spammer goes to open invites and joins 10 or 15 or 100 games

Spammer moves once in each game and hey presto they can now post.

10, 15 or even 100 people now have games on their list where the spammer will not move again.

You have now wasted the time of these people setting up games just to save the mods some time.

A better idea would be to stop posters posting until they have been members for x number of days. Again this is pointless as he spammer merely sets up accounts each day and waits till the required period has passed.

Spammers happen, there is nothing that can be done other than deleting their membership once they have been established as spammers.
  11. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 02:10
    Originally posted by Silverstriker
    i disagree

There are a couple of people on here who post just in the forums and dont play chess on here (or just on Blitz) - theres a few that post in only chess and some little puzzles as well
    Then they should be banned 😛
  12. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '09 06:25
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Spammer opens account (or 10 or 15 or 100)

Spammer goes to open invites and joins 10 or 15 or 100 games

Spammer moves once in each game and hey presto they can now post.

10, 15 or even 100 people now have games on their list where the spammer will not move again.

You have now wasted the time of these people setting up games just to save the ...[text shortened]... at can be done other than deleting their membership once they have been established as spammers.
    Thanks for spamming an answer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree