Swiss

Standard memberdottewell
Site Ideas 19 Dec '05 11:05
  1. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    14671
    19 Dec '05 11:05
    tournaments.
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    19 Dec '05 12:33
    Originally posted by dottewell
    tournaments.
    Swiss tournaments are used in OTB chess because many other types of tournaments (grouped elimination) would be impractical as only two games per day (at most) can be played. As in correspondance chess games can be played simultaneously there is no need for swiss tournaments.
  3. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    14671
    19 Dec '05 13:08
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Swiss tournaments are used in OTB chess because many other types of tournaments (grouped elimination) would be impractical as only two games per day (at most) can be played. As in correspondance chess games can be played simultaneously there is no need for swiss tournaments.
    But they are quicker than all-play-all & fairer than knock-out. I don't see how it could hurt to have it as an option.
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    19 Dec '05 15:11
    Originally posted by dottewell
    But they are quicker than all-play-all & fairer than knock-out. I don't see how it could hurt to have it as an option.
    Even a small swiss tournament would require 6 rounds. 6 rounds will take upwards of a year even with short timecontrols. Compare that to Tournament 898 (an all-play-all) which will finish in 60 days at the most.

    Also there is nothing unfair about knock-out tournaments, the best performing player will still win. Yes, it can suck to draw a top player in the first round but take heart from the fact that you wouldn't have won the tournament anyway and RHP doesn't track placings just winners.

    Swiss tournaments are especially useful as a single tournament can give results for many classes (the overall winner being the Open winner, the highest placed sub-2000 being the U2000 winner etc.) however RHP has banded tournaments for this.

    All in all swiss style tournaments just aren't suited to correspondance chess.
  5. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    14671
    19 Dec '05 15:261 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Even a small swiss tournament would require 6 rounds. 6 rounds will take upwards of a year even with short timecontrols. Compare that to Tournament 898 (an all-play-all) which will finish in 60 days at the most.

    Also there is nothing unfair about knock-out tournaments, the best performing player will still win. Yes, it can suck to draw a top player in t ...[text shortened]... ts for this.

    All in all swiss style tournaments just aren't suited to correspondance chess.
    Okay, you win.

    See you in the dead-thread tourney (it's a Swiss, I believe).
  6. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 200000...!
    Joined
    23 Mar '04
    Moves
    208624
    19 Dec '05 18:131 edit
    [emptyness]
  7. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    14671
    19 Dec '05 19:23
    Originally posted by Aiko
    [emptyness]
    [loneliness]
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    16907
    27 Dec '05 16:00
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Even a small swiss tournament would require 6 rounds. 6 rounds will take upwards of a year even with short timecontrols. Compare that to Tournament 898 (an all-play-all) which will finish in 60 days at the most.

    Also there is nothing unfair about knock-out tournaments, the best performing player will still win. Yes, it can suck to draw a top player in t ...[text shortened]... for this.

    All in all swiss style tournaments just aren't suited to correspondance chess.
    IECC and other correspondence chess organizations run Swiss tournaments. I've played in these. They take years. (It's not much fun when you get a bye, however.)
Back to Top