1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 23:52
    Currently, when you resign a game, you go through all these confirmations, and then you stay on that page so it can show you that 'this game is finished. <the other guy's color> wins. Resignation.' just to rub it in further!

But when your opponent resigns, you don't know it unless you go check your completed games.

Sometimes it takes a few days for me to even remember that that position isn't coming up anymore as I cycle through moving in my games.

How about a notification like 'congratulations! your opponent has bowed before your superior play and resigned this game.' and show the position along with it.
  2. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 01:52
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Currently, when you resign a game, you go through all these confirmations, and then you stay on that page so it can show you that 'this game is finished. <the other guy's color> wins. Resignation.' just to rub it in further!

But when your opponent resigns, you don't know it unless you go check your completed games.

Sometimes it takes a few d ...[text shortened]... d before your superior play and resigned this game.' and show the position along with it.
    Certainly agree with regard to current email notifications; if the site can send a 'move reminder' via an opponents request, then why can't it send a 'game won' note when he \ she resigns...seems simple to me, and if that's the case then why not a PM also !?
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 09:31
    When built, the site was all about email, and things have clearly changed, so the plan is to replace the current system with a more flexible notification system which can then notify the player in any way they choose - email, private messages, even social networking sites (maybe) for events they subscribe to. Such as games finishing, and their outcome.
  4. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 13:08
    Originally posted by Russ
    When built, the site was all about email, and things have clearly changed, so the plan is to replace the current system with a more flexible notification system which can then notify the player in any way they choose - email, private messages, even social networking sites (maybe) for events they subscribe to. Such as games finishing, and their outcome.
    SSssshhh!!! Don't mention social network sites like Twitter and facebook.
    I hate them. You saw what happened with Lord McAlpine.
    He got £185,000 and he's not finished yet.

Just send me a special feature like maybe an audio message I can send to my opponent which announces on checkmate,

"KNEEL BEFORE YOUR GOD!!!"
  5. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 16:43
    How about a "log in" page, where we have

1) announcements that are new to us
    2) game results since the last time we signed out
    3) tournaments that are available to us
    4) messages (not email, but internal messages) from other players or admins
    5) messages or notices about clans and clubs?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 09:04
    On a very similar track - the winning of tournaments. When you finish the last game in a tournament then you have to check to find out if you've won, but sometimes it is dependent on games that are still in play.

Of course it is not difficult to find the info, but it would be nice, when I win, I can then pop out a buy a cake to celebrate and go to the engravers and get a little cup made for the display cabinet!

PS I don't want a message saying I've lost yet another tournament.
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    12 Dec '12 01:52
    so the plan is to replace the current system with a more flexible notification system which can then notify the player in any way they choose
    I choose to have a pizza delivered to my house when my opponent resigns. Set it up with Pizza Hut. 🙂 😉
  8. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    12 Dec '12 15:17
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I choose to have a pizza delivered to my house when my opponent resigns. Set it up with Pizza Hut. 🙂 😉
    Now you're talkin'.

Triple pepperoni for me.....

oh and a six pack.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree